Sinister boycotted by French theater owners? Why?!

Nov. 13, 2012by: Eric Walkuski

Seems as though the French get all pissy when watching certain horror movies.

According to an article over at Twitchfilm.com, at least 40 French theaters have abruptly canceled their bookings of SINISTER, which opened last week there. And it's not even the Scott Derrickson film's fault - it's PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4's!

The site has it that audiences at screenings of PA4, which opened the week before, descended into borderline chaos, with people "looting candy counters, insulting cashiers, urinating on seats, etc." Urinating on seats!

In a statement, Wild Bunch, the distributor of SINISTER in France, notes "Showing genre films in France is not easy" and asks that "future spectators please be respectful of the rules of courtesy."

Perhaps the people who went to see PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4 were just making public displays of their thoughts on the film when they began to loot and urinate publicly. Doesn't necessarily mean SINISTER moviegoers are going to respond the same way. (Or perhaps the theater owners are fearful of some kind of subliminal message being broadcast by horror films to create pee-stained chaos?)

Wild Bunch is urging fans to "not hesitate to demand that local theaters show the film next week," which sounds like a good idea. And for the love of a croissant, folks, don't crap on anything.

Extra Tidbit: Have you ever gotten (pardon the pun) that pissed at a movie?
Source: Twitch

6:24PM on 11/14/2012
Well it's not that bad. SINISTER is pretty much still viewable anywhare in France, it's not BANNED in the strict sense of the term. Of course the decision of some theaters to give up the release because of idiots that crashed the PA 4 screenings is pretty stupid. And the french horror film are most of the time awful BTW !

4:06PM on 11/14/2012
What a bunch of cry babies.
What a bunch of cry babies.

12:31PM on 11/14/2012

huh

Dat shit cray!
Dat shit cray!

7:48AM on 11/14/2012
I'm usually not pissed at the movie itself. However, I'm usually pissed at the Cinema whereas several moviegoers nowadays just don't respect other moviegoers' rights, i.e. talking on cellphone loudly when the movie is shown or keep on texting right until the last minute of the movie. That really pisses me off.

1:58PM on 11/13/2012
These are the people from the Country responsible for '' HAUTE TENSION '' , '' FRONTIER(S) '' , '' INSIDE '' and '' MARTYRS '' ?? Interesting . Moronic , but interesting .

1:14PM on 11/13/2012

French

The interesting part is that this is France... where some of today's finest and most brutal horror films come from.

12:37PM on 11/13/2012
Sounds like Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns", but with pissing on seats instead of mass dismemberment. Vive la France!

Ramsey, Laura