The 2013 Arrow in the Head Mistress of the Year! Lena Headey!

Dec. 23, 2013by: The Arrow
100%

LENA HEADEY

WHY SHE'S ARROW’S 2013 MISTRESS:
I’ve had LENA HEADEY in mind in terms of being ARROW IN THE HEAD’S MISTRESS OF THE YEAR since 2008 for her work in the underrated THE BROKEN and the canned too soon TV Show THE TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES. Then in 2009 she popped up in my head again due to her appearances in LAID TO REST and TELL-TALE. Lena went on the low jive horror wise in 2010 and 2011 but I went back to her in 2012 due to her f-ing fearless performance in DREDD and commanding show in GAME OF THRONES (which I started watching then... yes I know... I was late) So this year, after her strong showcases in THE PURGE and GAME OF THRONES S3, I couldn’t deny her the spot any longer! LENA HEADEY is our 2013 MISTRESS OF THE YEAR! And well earned at that!

What I really dig about Headey is that she is very pretty but in a “real” way; totally anti-Hollywood. And her many tattoos just add to that grounded feel while adding a wild child vibe to her that yes I find sexy as f*ck. That very same M.O. applies to her choice of roles as well. She is far from a film snob that looks down at genre roles like say Scarlett Johansson (who dissed Eight Legged Freaks when she became legit). As much as she’s comfortable in high brow fare like THE REMAINS OF THE DAY, MRS HALLOWAY, THE RED BARON, and ONEGIN, she’s also looks right at home in B movies like LAID TO REST and THE CAVE or big productions like 300, THE BROTHERS GRIMM and GAME OF THRONES.

Natural beauty in Hollywood? How refreshing!

I mean come on! She does period pieces, slashers, blockbusters, small indies... and she rocks in all of them! Versatile is the word! And every single role she has tackled, no matter the quality of the film, she has brought class and gravitas to the proceedings. Yup, in my opinion, she pretty much elevates everything she’s in, and that is rare for an actress. The only other lass that comes to mind who is also able to pull that off is VERA FARMINGA. It’s probably an un-written rule in Hollywood at this point: Got a movie, want to up it up? Hire Lena Headey! If it isn’t, it should be! Lets learn more about the lady!

QUOTES:
"Getting the role in 300 saved me. I'd been out of work for 11 months after 'The Brothers Grimm.' Once the film came out and didn't do so well, the director Terry Gilliam blamed me for absolutely everything. It was pretty appalling, and I had started to wonder if I'd ever get another job again when I was asked to audition for 300."

"With fantasy and sci-fi, it's based in a real fandom. You're presenting to experts, and their source material is really important to them. They'll come up and ask: 'so when you turned your head slightly in that scene, what were you thinking?"

"Lost Boys is one of my all-time faves. I just thought it would be great to be a vampire.

MARRIAGE MATERIAL QUALITIES:
She’s gorgeous, has a genuineness about her that I find appealing, loves vampires, obviously has a deep philosophical streak  and a healthy sense of humor if I go by the interviews I read with her and has a head on her shoulder, which is always appealing.  She also has an inner strength that shines through, which I am sure is why she”s ideal casting as a Queen (300, GAME OF THRONES). And again, the tats and that rock and roll side – mucho turn on.

Would Meryl Streep tackle a role like this? I think not!

MOVIES TO SEE FOR HER ACTING TALENT:
EVERYTHING! But I have a particular fondness for her work in THE BROKEN, 300 and GAME OF THRONES.

MOVIE TO SEE FOR T&A:
I will only name a few; she showed it all in Fair Game (1994) and Mrs. Dalloway (1997), went topless in 300 (2006) and Waterland (1992) and gave us TNA in The Broken (2008).

In my next life; I want to be THAT couch.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT:
She used a butt body double in Games of Throne. Why? There was no need for one. She is a vegetarian. She boxes (my kind of dame). She has a son.

WHAT I WISH HER FOR THE NEW YEAR :
Although Lena has had a long career, I don’t feel she has yet to get the recognition that she deserves. Granted GAME OF THRONES definitely upped her profile but Hollywood needs to recognize the lass further IMO.  So I hope that in the New Year, she gets more respect for the beautiful, talented, bold and versatile actress that she is.  She also has GAME OF THRONES SEASON 4 and 300 RISE OF AN EMPIRE kicking in next year, so I hope they do well for her and lead to better roles. Finally, I read over the years that she’s wanted to direct a feature, well hopefully 2014 will make that dream come through for her. Happy New Year Lena! Keep being you Lena!

KEEP ROCKING LENA!

Extra Tidbit: What's your favorite Lena performance?

7:38PM on 12/25/2013
Loved her in The Terminator TV series and Dredd.
Loved her in The Terminator TV series and Dredd.

7:10PM on 12/24/2013

GoT showed the world her chops.

I've pointed out what she has been in, and people are shocked that she was in this and that. But with a role as prominent as Circe on GoT, she is higher in the mainstream.

5:53PM on 12/23/2013

Always mistook her for Lea Dunham

I fell in love Lena Headey after Dredd and need to watch more of her stuff. She's so beautiful and has a strong on-screen presence.

Embarrassingly, I actually kept mistaking her name with Lea Dunham's name... or whatever that girl's name is. I was close to buying the first season of HBO's Girls solely because of Lena Headey! ...but then I realized that grave error, thankfully before I pulled the trigger on that purchase.

Anyways, Lena Headey is great. :)

Anyways, Lena Headey is great. :)

3:12PM on 12/23/2013
She also lezzed out with Piper Perabo once. Unfortunately, it was only first base. Maybe we one day see a movie where they go at it again but it's to third base or home plate.

2:12PM on 12/23/2013

Excellent choice

I agree Lena does not get the recognition she deserves while lesser actresses get more. Also agree on Farmiga, both these ladies are fantastic and I'd watch anything they were in just for them. Shame you couldn't call a draw and have both of them as Mistress of the Year.

1:03PM on 12/23/2013
A stunning and kick-ass chick much like Eva Green.
A stunning and kick-ass chick much like Eva Green.

11:15AM on 12/23/2013
She was also in an episode of the horror tv show The Hunger with Daniel Craig.
She was also in an episode of the horror tv show The Hunger with Daniel Craig.

10:05AM on 12/23/2013
Though it was short lived, I love Lena as Sarah Connor. She has that warmness of a mother but also a toughness of a survivor. Other than that, Game of Thrones.

Monroe, Maika