The F*cking Black Sheep: Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007)

Aug. 1, 2013by: Ryan Doom

THE BLACK SHEEP is an ongoing column featuring different takes on films that either the writer HATED, but that the majority of film fans LOVED, or that the writer LOVED, but that most others LOATH. We're hoping this column will promote constructive and geek fueled discussion. Dig in!

Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007)
Directed by Colin Strause and Greg Strause

“I’ve found Aliens vs Predator: Requiem the most interesting because, well…shit…at least the flick did something different.”

The Predator franchise has gotten a bad rap of late. After the definitive action/sci-fi badassness of Schwarzenegger, all sequels and spin-offs have been received…less than enthusiastically. It seems like each time something new pops up, it just sorta of disappears into streaming/DVD bin obscurity. Fans seem to expect the same high quality, high octane action that made us all care about a seven-foot lizard with a cannon on his shoulder, but that hasn’t been the case. None really has resonated with the masses, which is a shame.

While the two Alien vs Predator movies are (obviously) a combination of the franchises, they are mainly Predator vehicles. You can’t really follow around a creature who can’t think or use devises or give us that winning smile. Anyway, I’ve found Aliens vs Predator: Requiem the most interesting because, well…shit…at least the flick did something different. The idea of unleashing hell in a small Colorado town with average, forgettable characters is quite the departure from what we’ve seen before. I’m sure many have bitched that AvP: Requiem tries maybe too hard to develop all these small town characters. We have the high school kids in love. We have the jerky high school jocks. We have desperate mom in search of her alien food husband and son. We have the ex-con. We have his buddy, the sheriff. Then there are even more characters that no one gives a damn about.

Why? Well, if someone is watching AvP then all they want to see is blood and carnage. It's a simple formula really. And if you get tired of all these regular folks at least most of them end up dead during some damn good graphic sequences. The pool attack on the high school bullies looks great as does the sewer chases. My personal two favorites come from the industrial plant, though that one should have went on a little longer as it felt like they used an awesome setting but only had four and a half hours to film there. Then there’s the hospital where first time director brothers Strause kill a pregnant lady in a bed, and then kill a whole lot more. At least they have balls.

I remember watching this in theaters and being disappointed, but time heals all wounds. This flick is far from fantastic, but what the f*ck. Its entertaining and it delivers on the things that fans want to see (mostly). We get to see the Predator home world. We get to see Aliens get all mouthy with lots and lots of people. We get space ships, explosions, death, and a lot of ET combat. What’s not to like?

Ok, there's plenty still plenty to bitch about. I think the biggest fault of the film is not having a manly man doing battle with the creatures. When I started rewatching the movie I dug that it lacked a central character, but as the movie moved on I quickly realized the movie needed it. We need one dude saving the day, a dude to root for and show that man can kick ass like no other species. And since Alien had Ripley, Predator had Dutch, and AvP had…some chick…then they could have given us someone who it at least plausible going head to vagina-looking head. Of course, more issues exist like how freakin’ dark the thing is (some scenes it’s nearly impossible to see any action) or then there’s the whole Pred-lien (the Predator/Alien hybrid) thing. It’s a little much, but again, at least they're trying.

Aliens vs Predator: Requiem is a (rumored) $40 million movie trying to be as big as it can be. I checked out the unrated version, which has about seven extra minutes of footage. Some of it worthless, some it gory goodness. No will confuse this with the works of John McTiernan or Ridley Scott, but if we want to see more, then accept what we have in front of us. Make a drink. Watch some carnage. And try to imitate the Predator noises.

GET ALIENS VS PREDATOR: REQUIEM DVD HERE

GET ALIENS VS PREDATOR: REQUIEM BLU RAY HERE

4:34PM on 08/06/2013
Yes, finally someone else who likes this film! I truly do not understand the hatred for it at all, I had an awesome time at the theatre with this film, I disagree about it being "mean-spirited(at least no moreso then the Saw sequels and Hostel films were) I loved that it didn't hodl back on the carnage and that absolutely no one was safe, not kids or pregnant mothers, helll I'm surprised the MPAA didn't blow a gasket over it.

10:45PM on 08/01/2013
The baby Predalien bursting out at the end of AVP was a throwaway gag, and really should have stayed that way. The Predalien in AVPR is really disappointing as it is nothing different from regular aliens, other than its looks and being a bit stronger. Also, I agree with what some comments mentioned down here, the movie is surprisingly mean-spirited.

2:52PM on 08/01/2013

Ugh

This movie is awful. You can't even see what the hell is going on half the time, way too shaky and dark cinematography, and that's not to mention the crappy script. How anyone can find this any good, or even worthy of the Alien or Predtor franchise, is beyond me.

2:11PM on 08/01/2013
I liked the FX, the action set pieces, the gore and the predator in this one. He seriously kicked ass (other than those useless Predator victims of AVP 1). He should have been the center of the movie and not that annoying, boring and one dimensional townsfolk, nobody gave a shit about.

12:32PM on 08/01/2013
Hated it the first time, then gave it another shot and hated it again. A spit laced insult to the Alien and Predator franchises IMO. To each his own bro!

11:44AM on 08/01/2013
I can't stand the brothers Strause

That being said it was cool to finally see a Predalien(sorta) and a bit of the Predator home world.
I can't stand the brothers Strause

11:14AM on 08/01/2013
I agree with most of this assessment except I think we are well past the need of having a "manly man" as the protagonist.

10:54AM on 08/01/2013

Nice Blanket Statement There.

"Well, if someone is watching AvP then all they want to see is blood and carnage." Really? You've boiled down what fans love about both of these long running series into an incredibly simpleminded and insulting observation. Why would anyone want a cohesive plot or likeable and complex characters when we can have mindless, repetitive carnage instead? Let's eschew any original ideas and story lines relating to a couple of the most interesting Sci-Fi creatures ever created in favor of ripping teenagers to shreds because we can't get that sort of thing ANYWHERE else, can we?

This movie blows and making lame excuses like this for a film's blatant lack of quality is shamefully weak.

10:37AM on 08/01/2013
The story was amateurish at best. The lack of lighting was pathetic. The "fanboy" directors apparently learned nothing from the original alien or predator movies. The fact that Fox continues to throw good money at bad ideas for these franchises is amazing.

9:48AM on 08/01/2013
Daniel Pearl's cinematography was just too dark at times. It was difficult to tell what the hell was going on. Otherwise, I would have liked this movie more.

4:36PM on 08/06/2013
Funny, I never had any issues with lighting(though maybe it was my theater), I could see what was going on just fine.
9:47AM on 08/01/2013
It's actually not a bad movie. Some annoying human characters but that's a given. At least the last 45 minutes of the movie made up for that. However, the movie is FREAKIN' DARK!!! Even watch it on HDTV nowadays, I can't see a frakkin' thing.

9:26AM on 08/01/2013
I would actually enjoy this movie on a fun, popcorn, b-movie level....

....if I could see a fucking thing that was happening on the screen.

I was willing to forgive a lot to enjoy this movie, but not being able to actually see anything is the worst crime it commits.
I would actually enjoy this movie on a fun, popcorn, b-movie level....

....if I could see a fucking thing that was happening on the screen.

9:06AM on 08/01/2013
I found AvP: Requiem to be rather disturbing. While the first AvP was a little more cartoonish, at least it had a good protagonist (Sanaa Lathan) so you had a narrative to follow. AvP: Requiem was more of a bloodbath, with innocent death. Overall I felt this one was merciless. And the character of the predator was more cold.

4:40PM on 08/06/2013
I loved that the film was so "merciless" I was so tired of seeing irritating young kids in horror films always surviving that it was refreshing to see one finally bite the dust, and that scene with the pregnant woman, holy shit that was insane and fucked up, but I couldn't help but admire the brothers for having the balls to do a scene like that.
8:53AM on 08/01/2013

Good times

This was a fun movie overall. You're absolutely right in that people watching this movie should be watching it for the carnage, the blood and gore, and the action set pieces. It would have been nice to have a likeable leading man (ala Arnold) but oh well, at least it tried something different. The biggest problem I had with this movie is the brightness. This movie was so damn dark at times that it was hard to tell what the heck was going on. Otherwise, it was a pretty entertaining sci-fi flick.

VanCamp, Emily