The Monster Squad remake is dead, according to Platinum Dunes

Aug. 4, 2014by: Eric Walkuski
100%

You may have forgotten that a remake of Fred Dekker's THE MONSTER SQUAD was in the works not a few years ago. Primed to be remade by those remake-loving folks at Platinum Dunes and director Rob Cohen (THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS), the film was announced in 2010 but never seemed to catch any smooth sailing. (Our last update on it came in 2012.)

So perhaps it's not surprising to learn that the project currently has a stake in its heart.

The news comes straight from Platinum Dunes' Brad Fuller and Andrew Form. In an interview with Collider, the producers have the following sobering quotes regarding the remake. "The Monster Squad, were not developing anymore." And: "That's dead."

Most of you are presumably celebrating right now. THE MONSTER SQUAD is one of those beloved pieces of nostalgia from many of our childhoods, one we don't take kindly to being f*cked with. While a quality remake of the flick isn't hard to fathom, it seems like a venture best left alone.

Of course, a remake is never truly dead in Hollywood, so don't be shocked if this one is resurrected at some point down the line.

Extra Tidbit: Are you happy to learn THE MONSTER SQUAD remake is dead?
Source: Collider

1:59PM on 08/05/2014
I'm so happy right now. There is no need for a remake. A sequel I could jump on board with. And it would have been even better if they could have gotten the original cast to return. This is one of those movies that doesn't need remaking, it needs more stories in it's universe.

1:01AM on 08/05/2014
Yeah I suppose its good news. I would have rather had a sequel with the cast returning. What happened with the goonies sequel?

4:01PM on 08/04/2014

Huzzah!!

Best news I've read in ages.
Best news I've read in ages.

1:13PM on 08/04/2014
Good. Because Platinum Dunes are fucking shit.
Anyone else has a 50/50 shot at making a strong enough case for a re-make, but not Platinum Dunes. Ever.
Good. Because Platinum Dunes are fucking shit.

11:54AM on 08/04/2014
Great!!!
Great!!!

11:49AM on 08/04/2014

Glad it's dead. Watch the special anniversary dvd and just enjoy that instead.
Glad it's dead. Watch the special anniversary dvd and just enjoy that instead.

Terell, Taryn