The next Friday the 13th will contain an updated origin story

05.31.2016by: Brennan Klein

Platinum Dunes' upcoming FRIDAY THE 13TH remake(?) Sequel? Whatever. The next entry in the FRIDAY THE 13TH saga is being written by PRISONERS scribe Aaron Guzikowski, and The Reel Word had an opportunity to check up with producer Brad Fuller on the status of that screenplay, which is among the most-delayed in the horror world right now.

Says Fuller:

Aaron’s story has great characters…You kind of have to understand Jason Voorhees, so we go back and we kind of started over and work our way forward. [It'll be] origin-ish, but it’s an origin that no one has seen before. Obviously Pamela’s there, but it’s a little bit different from what you’ve seen before.

This would seem to indicate that the film is closer to a remake than it is a sequel, but hopefully it won't dwell too much on Jason's backstory and inner workings. We got enough of that last time, and really what's so difficult about the character? He loved his mom, she died, he's crazy. Cut and dry. Let's get to the hacking and slashing. I'm willing to concede that Guzikowski could go somewhere really intense with the character, but here's hoping that it doesn't take the whole movie to get there.

And just to really pound in this detail for good measure, FRIDAY THE 13TH will not be found footage, thank goodness: “There was a lot of found-footage scripts that they wanted us to make and I was not going to do that because I don’t think that can exist in Jason Voorhees’ world."

The film is still set for a January 13, 2017 release, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Check out the interview below!

Extra Tidbit: What do you think Jason's new origin should be?
Source: The Reel Word

3:37AM on 06/01/2016
Do we really need an origin story on Jason? Really? Like that origin story of Leatherface in the Texas Chainsaw movie (can't remember which one but it stars Jordana Brewster), no one cares. He's Leatherface so let him do what he do best. So is Jason here.

7:54PM on 05/31/2016

They don't get the franchise.

Part of the charm of the Friday the 13th series, is the ridiculous ways that Jason gets killed in every movie, and the preposterous ways he comes back to life in the next ones.

A reboot completely misses the point of this franchise. It's simply not needed.

A reboot completely misses the point of this franchise. It's simply not needed.

6:56PM on 05/31/2016
Oh God, just give us boobs and gore. It's really not that hard!
Oh God, just give us boobs and gore. It's really not that hard!

4:30PM on 05/31/2016
We really don't need this. They really should just make a sequel to the 2009 movie but with more likable characters. And I think we can all agree that Crystal Lake being turned into a ski resort over the winter would make it more fresh and fun. But obviously the producers are more interested in drawing in new fans that will follow a new franchise, that's why this has been delayed so long. They're trying to find some new big way to reinvent the story.

4:07PM on 05/31/2016
If you are a horror fan and don't know Jason's origins at this point of the franchise, then go back and watch the old films. I absolutely hate origin films for horror films since it takes away all of the mystery and suspense of what makes them interesting and scary in the first place.

3:31PM on 05/31/2016

Oh Thank God... Cause the only thing missing from this franchise was a proper origin story

Let's over explain Jason's roots so that we can really delve into and understand his deep hatred for teenage camp co-eds.

So far, his super natural origin explanation was explained with him being struck by lightening and that little crawly thing from Jason Goes To Hell. I personally like the lightening explanation, its very scientific and to the point.

2:52PM on 05/31/2016
Should just make a goddamn sequel. Is it that hard?
Should just make a goddamn sequel. Is it that hard?

Dunst, Kirsten