The remake virus infects Eli Roth's Cabin Fever

Apr. 21, 2014by: Kevin Woods

Unnecessary remakes/reboots are all the rage right now it seems, with our beloved genre seeing more than its fair share of do-overs much to the chagrin of fans, and it has now come to this: Eli Roth's barely-a-decade-old CABIN FEVER is set to be infected by the remake bug, with Cassian Elwes and Evan Astrowsky producing according to Bloody Disgusting.

CABIN FEVER has already gotten a couple of sequels, with RJ Entertainment releasing the latest, CABIN FEVER: PATIENT ZERO, a sequel that was produced by Indomina, on June 26. Originally, Indomina had planned on shooting back-to-back sequels, with the fourth film in the franchise being the cruise ship-themed OUTBREAK, penned by Adam and Deborah Marcus. That film was scrapped.

Now, sources at Cannes tell Bloody Disgusting that a remake of Roth’s classic 2002 cabin-in-the-woods splatterfest will go into production – without Indomina. No word on whether or not Roth will be involved with this remake yet.

The original, Roth's directorial debut, is an offbeat horror tale about...

...a group of five college friends on vacation at a remote mountain cabin. After one of the friends contracts a flesh-eating virus, it quickly spreads among them, and their true feelings and personalities emerge as they struggle to survive the virus... and each other.

I know CABIN FEVER is one of those love-it-or-hate-it flicks that has divided genre fans, but I think we can all agree that a CABIN FEVER remake is quite unnecessary. I guess there's only one question that really needs to be answered: will there be Pancakes?

Extra Tidbit: Do we really need a CABIN FEVER remake? What do you think?
Source: BD

8:37AM on 04/26/2014

Really???

Fuck. No.
Fuck. No.

9:12AM on 04/22/2014
No. Just no.
No. Just no.

1:06AM on 04/22/2014

You know what needs to be remade?

Oculus! I mean, it's been in theaters for over a week now. It's old news. It's high time for a remake.
Come on, Hollywood! Get on the ball!!!
After that, you need to focus your attention on remaking The Quiet Ones. Seriously, it'll be in theaters this Friday, and there's no talk of a remake yet?!?
Come on, Hollywood! Get on the ball!!!

9:11AM on 04/22/2014
Best comment of the day goes to you, sir.
Best comment of the day goes to you, sir.
1:24PM on 04/21/2014
Meh, not like Cabin Fever was original (or remotely good) to begin with. The sequels were crappy as well so there's no real hope for this.

12:43PM on 04/21/2014
LMAO! All I have to say. Pathetic!
LMAO! All I have to say. Pathetic!

12:33PM on 04/21/2014
A poor idea on so many levels. Kevin even says it in the story above, the Cabin Fever movies have a mixed fan base at best, why make a remake of a film that most people associate as junk... If this is the route they want to go with than change the name and start from scratch, as something better and is not associated with Cabin Fever. Instead they are choosing to live off of fans Eli Roth, which there are many, myself included.

12:26PM on 04/21/2014

Ugh, this is disgusting!

Nope. With how horrible every sequel CF has had, including that god awful Patient Zero that I slugged through over the weekend. There needs to be a rule, if you can't even come up with a good concept and a good sequel/prequel, then there is no way in hell you can do the original movie justice with a remake.

Ramsey, Laura