Read the intense first two pages of the unmade Gremlins reboot

02.04.2016by: Brennan Klein

I'm sure that many of you are happy that the rumors of a GREMLINS reboot never came to fruition (not yet, anyway), but I have something that might just make you rethink your stance. Screenwriters Damian Shannon and Mark Swift (of FREDDY VS. JASON and FRIDAY THE 13TH 2009) have shared the first two pages of their ultimately rejected pitch for the remake and... it's kind of awesome.

This movie would have opened huge, with a plane crash that feels like the Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" gone bad. It acknowledges the loopholes of the iconic rules by having a character crossing time zones and goes from zero to sixty almost immediately. Perhaps nothing could have matched the brilliance of Joe Dante's film, but this pitch feels a little like the original GREMLINS script, which was supposed to be much darker and more violent. Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed this script didn't get a chance.

But don't let me ruin it all for you. Look below and check out the pages for yourself!

Extra Tidbit: Would you like for this script to have gotten the green light?
Source: Facebook

6:00AM on 02/05/2016

Say what?

If that's 2 pages of the actual script and not just a shitty re-type I'll eat my hat. If I sent a script formatted like that into any competition, manager, agent, prod company etc they'd take one look and shoot it into the bin before even reading a word. If that's the extent of the screenwriters skill, that movie would have sucked balls. They must be someone's cousin because somehow they got that gig.

3:25AM on 02/08/2016
considering the document is only 2 pages (u can see at the top it says 1/2 and 2/2,) it seems like this was a quick pitch. not the script.
8:16PM on 02/04/2016

No thanks

Sounds stupid as shit. Hope it stays dead. Movie doesn't need to be remade.
Sounds stupid as shit. Hope it stays dead. Movie doesn't need to be remade.

7:10PM on 02/04/2016

Too many questions are raised already.

How does this guy know about the Gremlins in the first place? The odds of a small creature surviving a plane crash is 0 to none. This just sounds REALLY stupid. I can't stand the writers, they are obvious failures at their jobs.

3:24AM on 02/08/2016
uhhh its 2 pages...so obviously maybe the rest of the movie would ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS!!! DEEEEEEEEERP! you are by far the most ignorant person on this website.

Good to know you know the odds of a creature surviving a plane crash. Also note, it was already getting ready to land, it wasnt at 30,000 feet.

Get a grip idiot.

Get a grip idiot.
4:48PM on 02/04/2016

Could have been neat

I like the darker tone. It's reminiscent of the original script. I doubt a gremlin would be able to break through a wooden box though. Not to mention that it would have probably tried (and succeeded) to kill Gizmo.

Moore, Mandy