Top 10: Horror Movie Songs #1

Feb. 25, 2009by: Matt Withers
When fellow AITH staffer Pat Torfe hit me up a while back with the idea for a list of the best horror movie songs, I had no idea putting this list together would be so much f*cking fun. If nothing else, agree or disagree, I hope ya'll have half as much fun listening to all these jams as I did collecting them.

The only absolute criteria I had for this list was that it had to be populated by songs with both music and lyrics. Other than that, pretty much anything goes. It was tough to have to leave Dueling Banjos off the list, but ya gotta have some standards.

So check out the fun below, and if you've got some favs that didn't make the list, spit bullets so your fellow arrowheads can jam out witcha!

WARNING - FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK, WE SALUTE YOU BELOW!

10. Hellraiser (Motorhead), HELLRAISER

There's just something about Motorhead that rocks. They've never been one of my favorite bands based on song writing or musicianship, but still they kick ass. And when you add that indefinable awesomeness to a Clive Barker classic? Good times, my friends!

9. Scream Until You Like It (W.A.S.P.), GHOULIES II

I was a huge fan of Blackie Lawless throughout my youth, and while W.A.S.P.'s big screen splash in The Dungeonmaster was sweet, it took a bad sequel to a fun movie to get them on a horror soundtrack. The upside is that at least this song made the experience of G2 slightly better than a complete waste of time.

8. Suffocate (Motograter), THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE remake

What used to be thrash metal seems to have morphed into nu metal, which near as I can tell simply means "stripped of all melody". But anybody who pops in this little ditty and isn't headbanging in the first 10 seconds is just a broken soul. Whether or not you like the fact that it puts you in a homicidal mood is something I'll leave to you.

7. Bodies (Drowning Pool), JASON X

I was torn here, because while the song was heavily featured in the trailer, it never actually makes an appearance in the movie. But it's so strongly associated with the flick that I feel like I'm on pretty solid ground including it. Still, the horrendous oversight of leaving it out of the cinematic release cost this outstanding song a place in the top 5.

6. Dream Warriors (Dokken), A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3: DREAM WARRIORS

Tough one here because Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter by Iron Maiden was another solid entry in the NOES metal god video race. But not only was the third flick a better movie than the fifth, but Dokken scored a legitimate crossover hit with the song as well. Not too shabby.

STAY TUNED FOR PART 2!
Source: AITH

11:45PM on 02/26/2009
Yeah Dream Warriors should be like number 1 lol. Anyway I don't remember if horror scores in general was done before, but how about music without lyrics...sure john carpenter would be mentioned, but goblin would have to be included and fabio frizzi as they have done at least IMO the best scores for horror films next to carpenter of course.

6:19PM on 02/26/2009

Some other good ones....

Fright night- J. Giels Band

Life in His Eyes- Pseudo Echo Friday the 13th part 5

Armies of the Night- Sparks (Fright Night)

Bite the Hand that Bleeds -Fear Factory (SAW)

Fright night- J. Giels Band

Life in His Eyes- Pseudo Echo Friday the 13th part 5

Armies of the Night- Sparks (Fright Night)

Bite the Hand that Bleeds -Fear Factory (SAW)

9:44AM on 02/26/2009

YOOOo

DRAMAMARAMA - ANYTHING, ANYTHING

Nightmare on Elm St. 4

when Rick is doing all his karate shit

That song gets my hyped up all the time.
DRAMAMARAMA - ANYTHING, ANYTHING

Nightmare on Elm St. 4

when Rick is doing all his karate shit

That song gets my hyped up all the time.

6:06AM on 02/26/2009

What about...

..."The Show Must Go On" from Anthem, which was featured prominently in the animated horror classic, 'Devilman'? Still, good list so far!!!

4:22PM on 02/25/2009
Fastaway - Trick or Treat was always my favorite horror movie song
Fastaway - Trick or Treat was always my favorite horror movie song

3:21PM on 02/25/2009
Holy Hell, that suffocate song is killer. Is it connected to Five Finger Death Punch at all? Cuz it's soudns very FFDP to me. I'd have preferred the list to only include songs specifically released primarily on the film soundtracks (which would probably cancel out Bodies...but whatever). Anyways, yeah Ramones Pet Cematary should be up near the top. Some reason I've always dug that song.

3:00PM on 02/25/2009

The Devils Rejects

Free Bird!
Free Bird!

2:28PM on 02/25/2009

JASON LIVES

He's Back (the man behind the mask) by Alice Cooper from FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI: JASON LIVES is fucking awesome!!! My all time favorite horror movie song. I hope it is #1.

2:06PM on 02/25/2009

ROTLD

Surfin' Dead by The Cramps in Return of the Living Dead
Surfin' Dead by The Cramps in Return of the Living Dead

11:08AM on 02/25/2009

Laaz Rockit

Their song "Leatherface" from Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 kicked total 100% ass even though the movie sucked.

10:52AM on 02/25/2009
Dream Warriors should be number 1!!!
Dream Warriors should be number 1!!!

10:18AM on 02/25/2009
The top 5 better be good if Dream Warriors isn't in it!

At least let The Ramones' Pet Sematary be in it!
The top 5 better be good if Dream Warriors isn't in it!

At least let The Ramones' Pet Sematary be in it!

8:27AM on 02/25/2009
Not bad so far...BUT #7 would have been near the top for me. I freakin LOVE that song! And it fits slashers perfectly.

Monk, Sophie