Top 10: Lamest Villains #1

Apr. 17, 2008by: Matt Withers
Horror does a lot of things great. It gives us tons of bloodshed, crazy f*cked up situations, and often provides ample female flesh to gawk at. But the thing that sends a flick through the roof, more often than not, is the villain. Be it serial killers, ghosts, monsters or some other cool idea, the villain is to horror what the cream is to an Oreo - the good stuff!

That only applies to successful genre pics, though. Because nothing kills a fright flick like a poorly conceived, badly presented, or just plain miscast baddie. And holy shite there are a lot of them. For every Lecter or Alien, the host of knock-offs and wannabes are legion.

So let's take a look at some of the times when the bad are just plain bad, the nasty are totally nasty, and at the end of it all you find yourself cringing from the affront that just tried to sell itself as a villain.

And as always, Lock-Load-Spit Bullets!

WARNING - SPOILERS BELOW

10. Black Goop, CREEPSHOW 2

In CREEPSHOW 2, "The Raft" episode poses the question - Can you scare people with a black Hefty bag. Well, the answer is actually "yes" which is why this ridiculous looking piece of evil flotsam barely made the list. Despite providing some scares, it's still totally stupid looking. I mean c'mon, give us a little something. If you're gonna copy THE BLOB, then do it well. Still, I fully admit this part was the highlight of the sequel.

9. Jack Frost, JACK FROST

Even given the fact that a pissed off, homicidal snowman is a laughable concept, Jack Frost is still one of the silliest killers to grace any screen. He basically looks like he was cobbled together from a kindergarten Christmas project, and exudes about the same amount of menace. When a movie features water that is scarier than its main monster, trouble is a brewin'!

8. Debbie Salt, SCREAM 2

Not many actresses pull off bitch-slapped crazy like Laurie Metcalf, but man oh man does anybody find her scary? Or compelling? It pains me to even have to write about the massive anti-climax that her reveal caused. If I want to hear shrill nonsense coming from an unattractive woman all I have to do is call up some old girlfriend's. At least then I have some good sex memories to go along with the annoying insanity. Add in an almost as lame partner for her and the result is that we, as well as Timothy Olyphant, would rather pretend it never happened.

7. Conal Cochran, HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH

"What's [Cochran's] plan? Kill the kids and replace them with robots? Why?" - Roger Ebert

Not much else to say that Rog didn't sum up nicely in his original review. If H3:SOTW has been a standalone movie it would have been a forgettable flick with some really nice gore thrown in for those who decided to get down with it, but it is a part of a franchise. It took one of the great villains of our time and replaced him with some old dude that can't even seem to convince himself that his evil plot makes any sense. Hell, he applauds right before the hero kills him. I can only imagine his internal monologue was something like, "Thank you for getting me out of this nonsensical shite fest". On top of that his death sucks balls. Who's he supposed to be, an evil mastermind, or Han Solo?

6. The Leprechaun, LEPRECHAUN

I guess some folks think the goofy hijinx of this demented little person are fun, but I truly hope they were on some good drugs when they came to that conclusion. Why? Because a former Ewok on various forms of wheels, or spitting out stupid one-liners, is just flat out annoying. That's without getting into the colossally boring idea of having a Leprechaun be evil in the first place. The fact that multiple sequels followed just hurts my genre heart.

STAY TUNED FOR PART 2!
Source: AITH

7:20PM on 04/17/2008
I want another Leprechaun sequel!!!!!
I want another Leprechaun sequel!!!!!

4:56PM on 04/17/2008
Even I hated Halloween 3, & I like Ang Lee's Hulk!

I do actually like Jack Frost & Leprechaun, but more as fun characters than menacing villains; they were, after all, *supposed* to be comedic.
Even I hated Halloween 3, & I like Ang Lee's Hulk!

4:54PM on 04/17/2008
Yes, you should know that most "Halloween" fans know the whole story behind the series and its' original intentions. So you're sooo not the only one.
also, like Djseanstyles said, the idea with each "Halloween" sequel having a different setting and story, similar to an anthology, was cool. However, it would have helped had their attempt to jumpstart this not been so poorly executed.

12:19PM on 04/17/2008
I can assure you that most of us are aware of the original concept of the Halloween movies. One major problem with the execution of their idea though, is that the first sequel was very directly related to the first movie, which would sort of go to contradict their own plan. If they had waited to do the storyline of "Halloween II" until some point later in the series they might have been able to get away with it without causing so much anger and confusion. Although it should be noted, just because H3 was following the formula they had intended for the franchise, it doesn't make it any good.

10:46AM on 04/17/2008

hey otherness

you can take pride right along with me. i may be in the extreme minority, but H3 is my favorite of the halloween sequels. i won't go into why each sucks here, but 3 is original and interesting, if a bit awkward. and i LOVE conal cochran. he shouldn't be on this list!

that said, is #1 going to be the gingerbread man or the dentist?

that said, is #1 going to be the gingerbread man or the dentist?

7:06AM on 04/17/2008
I take pride in knowing that I truly must be THE only person on Earth who remembers that HALLOWEEN WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ***DIFFERENT*** STORIES EVERY TIME, and not starring Michael Meyers, and therefore SEASON OF THE WITCH was the only technically "correct" one since the first film, but since the producers lacked imagination, they made the franchise into one-note borefest, and the one entry that harkened back to the frickin' roots gets panned even to this day. But hey, like I said, I take pride in knowing I'm the ONLY person who remembers this fact, even with all these so-called experts criticizing the movie. It's kind of a power trip, really.

Vergara, Sofia