Top 10: Personal Favs #1

Jul. 30, 2009by: Matt Withers
After the vigorous discussion that the last column generated, it only seems fair to post up the horror flicks that are my personal favorites so that ya'll can nod along or scoff to your hearts content.

Now let's be clear, I'm not saying these are the ten best ever, or even what I think on balance are the best. These just happen to be the top 10 genre movies, that for one reason or another, I enjoy watching the most.

So check it out, and then spit bullets on what you love the most. 'Cause whether we all agree or don't (hint: we don't), it's good times for all watching the debate.

WARNING - SOME SPOILERS BELOW!

10. JASON X

This falls into the category of guilty pleasures, but I could probably watch this flick every day for the rest of my life. It's gory, stupid fun with lots of nods to the series and tons of hot chicks to look at. And it's IN SPACE! I'm a sucker for franchises that jump the shark right into space. Not a great flick, but a great time nevertheless.

9. MAY

I'll check out anything that Lucky McKee or Angela Bettis do for the remainder of our shared time on earth because of this movie. It's rare to find a slow burn genre flick that has this depth of pathos and twisted character growth. From the tenuous lesbian urges involving Anna Faris, to the moment when Jeremy Sisto realizes he's a minor leaguer trying to keep up with a pro, this is a dark, romantic, thorough mindf*ck that made me smile the whole way.

8. THE BELIEVERS

I love this movie and think the first 3/4's of it is some of the creepiest pseudo-religious horror mingling ever. Unfortunately the end of it is a stupid mess, which is why it's not in my top 5. Still, a flick that can send Jimmy Smits to the ground with snakes in his stomach and make any woman terrified to use a compact again is aces in my book.

7. PRINCE OF DARKNESS

Sticking with the religious horror theme, POD is my second favorite Carpenter pic. It's got ancient texts, impossible math, God vs. Anti-God, and a big vial of green viscous fluid that is locked from the inside! Seriously, if you're at all into mushy intelluctualosity in your horror it doesn't get better than this. Oh, and did I mention Alice Cooper makes an appearance as a creepy homeless dude? Sweet!

6. INSIDE

When you've been a horror fan for as long as I have, it starts to get a little bit like being a heroin addict. You're always chasing those early highs, but it seems harder and harder to get there. And I've seen some amazing horror flicks over the last decade, but rarely have I had the gut-wrenching reaction that this f*cked up cat and mouse game creates. A pregnant woman trapped by a psycho bitch with a mean pair of scissors. Brutal, unrelenting, and unbelievably good.

STAY TUNED FOR PART 2!
Source: AITH

Related Articles

3:03AM on 07/31/2009
May = greatest American horror movie of the past decade BY A LARGE MARGIN!
May = greatest American horror movie of the past decade BY A LARGE MARGIN!

12:30AM on 07/31/2009
Good list, big fan of Jason X, just stupid fun and exactly what I wanted from a Jason movie this far in the series, certainly far from the best, but you are right....definitely a guilty pleasure!

Good list of stuff, enjoyed all of those, never saw The Believers and I'm going to have to because I'm a sucker for religious nutjob horror :)

some of my guilty pleasure stuff would be:

Freddy's Dead
People Under the Stairs
Night of the Demons
Army of Darkness
Dead Alive

and of course

some of my guilty pleasure stuff would be:

Freddy's Dead
People Under the Stairs
Night of the Demons
Army of Darkness
Dead Alive

and of course lots more, but its late and I cant think right now ;)

10:38PM on 07/30/2009

Silent Hill

How embarrassing ... here's the flick that I recommend to practically everybody with an interest in horror and I forgot it! Touche Necrotard.

I loved Inside but saw it about a month after my daughter was born. Sadly, I thought that it went too far in the ending ... and I NEVER say that. Fantastic film though!

I know that it's in nobody's top 10 but for a rarely seen flick, the low key Dead End is my hidden treasure. It's not top 10 but I liked it a lot ... as well as Identity.

10:34PM on 07/30/2009

Silent Hill

10:21PM on 07/30/2009

Inside

is such a great movie, it's so fun to watch with new people who haven't seen it.

7:26PM on 07/30/2009

Not bad. Here's mine:

1. Silent Hill - I don't care what anyone says. This is one of my all time favorite movies. Beautifully gruesome and bizarre.
2. The Descent - The original unrated ending is my favorite ending in the history of cinema.
3. May - I try to show this to every new friend I make, just to see how they react to the ending.
4. The Ugly - Very stylish & very dark. This one drives me nuts with it's awesomeness.
5. Inside - I feel the same way you did with this one. The faith and love I felt for the horror genre was starting to fade... but then this film came in and totally restored it.
6. The Hill Have Eyes '06 - Much better than the original. Dark, gritty, brutal, gruesome, depressing, heavy... This movie is TRUE HORROR.
7. Hellrasier - I'm not very fun to watch this movie with... I usually ruin it for other people by quoting all of Pinhead's dialogue along with him...
8. Saw - The original and best. Groundbreaking art before it became a whoring cash cow.
9. Cannibal Holocaust - For some reason, I've seen this one MANY times... The violence, the controversy, and the realistic style draw me like a moth to the flame.
10. Bride of Chucky - I love all of the Child's Play films (aside from part 3). They're all guilty pleasures for me, but this one gives me the most of that pleasure.

3:40PM on 07/30/2009

OK ... Spit Away

I will be the first to toss in my personal favs. I must be missing something but here's the beauty ... you are always right because it's personal! Matt can put put Twilight as #1 and he would be right ;) ... his personal choice.

1. The Thing - Perfection in horror
2. Jaws - Classic
3. Alien - Guess I took a common choice here
4. Aliens - Ditto
5. Requiem for a Dream - if it's not horror it's one of the scariest flicks that I have ever seen
6. Frailty - AWESOME little flick ... the

1. The Thing - Perfection in horror
2. Jaws - Classic
3. Alien - Guess I took a common choice here
4. Aliens - Ditto
6. Frailty - AWESOME little flick ... the perfect slow burn
7. Evil Dead 2 - the best of the series by far ... perfect blend of goofy and horror
8. The Dead Zone (1983) - best horror (Shawshank is drama) King adaptation of all time
9. Freddy vs. Jason - best Jason movie ... MY gulity pleasure
10. Little Shop of Horrors - tossed this in because I can watch it any time and it's VERY catchy and original ... A for effort ... not scary ;)

Predator would be in my list if it were considered horror and maybe not action.
May and Inside get honorable mention as well ... just wanted to come up with some of my own.

2:56PM on 07/30/2009
Well, you almost lost me with Jason X - easily my choice for WORST Friday flick (and that's is a bold statement with Jason Goes to Hell among the contenders). Saw it in the theatres and nearly fell asleep, not as bad on rewatch but its the only entry that I don't own.

You redeemed yourself with May (great little flick that really surprised me by living up to the hype - Betis rules that role!).

Inside is another great pick - among my favorite genre flicks of the last 10 years.

10:48AM on 07/30/2009

POD

I know that Prince isn't to everyone's taste. I really like all of the others you mention except for PUTS, which works better as a drinking game than a horror flick.

I'll have to say that based on your comments, there's a pretty good chance that the top 5 won't do much for you DemonDan.

10:43AM on 07/30/2009

interesting list so far....

I am glad to see Jason X made the list. It's also a guilty pleasure of mine. And May is understandable. But Prince of Darkness? Really? I put that in the snorefest catagory along the likes of People Under the Stairs, Serpent & the Rainbow and Jacob's Ladder. zzzzzzzzz Here's hoping that the top 5 are more worthy.

10:29AM on 07/30/2009
I love MAY. Moreso, I love that Lucky McKee has been involved in a couple of book-to-movie adaptations of my favorite author, Jack Ketchum. (McKee was a producer for THE LOST and director RED. He also directed a silly but Bruce Campbell filled movie called THE WOODS which is worth checking out.)

Probably the scariest stuff to me is what could really happen, as opposed to implausibility. Sometimes classically categorized dramas are horror movies to me.

10:05AM on 07/30/2009

Ain't no thang

I LOVE Carpenter's The Thing, but it's not on this list.
I LOVE Carpenter's The Thing, but it's not on this list.

9:30AM on 07/30/2009
Showgirls should be no. 1 ... oh wait a second ...
Showgirls should be no. 1 ... oh wait a second ...

8:07AM on 07/30/2009

Good Idea ... The Thing Should be #1 With a Bullet

Great list and idea ... Jason X seems out of place but the others have their merits (nods to May and Inside). Quite simply, The Thing is the greatest horror movie ever made and with your comment on POD being your second fav Carpenter film, one would assume that The Thing is your first!

5:34AM on 07/30/2009

Awesome list

So far, I have seen all of those except the believers. May was great, definitely dug that and Inside was amazing. That scene in Inside where the killer is standing in the background while the lady sleeps on the couch is IMO one of the creepiest scenes ever in film, I'm getting freaked out just typing about it lol. Also Prince of Darkness is absolute classic.

3:10AM on 07/30/2009
"May" is also my fav Angela Bettis is a great actress i loved her performance in this movie she is so freaking, emotional, funny and i loved lesbian part
Except to kill people "May" is the story of my life :)
Except to kill people "May" is the story of my life :)

2:22AM on 07/30/2009

MAY

I love that May is in the list, I love May, it is without a doubt one of my all time favourite films.

I know alot of ppl who had fun with Jason X, its pretty terrible but there is fun to be had.

Dusku, Eliza