Will the next Halloween film come courtesy of Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes?

Apr. 3, 2012by: Eric Walkuski

Here's an item that dropped on April Fool's Day, naturally leading some to think it was just a big old pile of BS. But the fact of the matter is, it's looking fairly accurate. Some of you should prepare to curse out loud.

Bloody-Disgusting has it that Platinum Dunes, the production company behind the FRIDAY THE 13th, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET remakes, is "in talks" to take over producing duties on Dimension's HALLOWEEN series. Nothing is official yet, but apparently the studio is already on the hunt for a writer/director.

A quick look at Platinum Dunes' Brad Fuller's Twitter page substantiates this claim; he doesn't outright say that they're on board, but the fact that he's posting links to articles regarding this news makes one believe that this isn't some prolonged bad joke.

If it indeed turns out to be true, it's almost a sure bet that our pals Patrick Lussier and Todd Farmer - who were angling for the HALLOWEEN 3D gig over at Dimension - would no longer be involved. The Platinum Dunes gang likes bringing in their own people and making their influence felt throughout the production, which probably would not jibe with the Lussier/Farmer team.

Look, make of this what you will. I'm not a fan of Dimension and Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN efforts personally, so I can't say Platinum Dunes would be ruining a great new franchise. However, Bay and his boys so thoroughly botched NIGHTMARE and F13 that it's hard to hand them any confidence. Essentially, it's a wash. (Again, just this schmoe's opinion.)

HALLOWEEN's Scout Taylor-Compton

Extra Tidbit: Which scenario would you prefer: a HALLOWEEN sequel from Lussier and Farmer, or one via the Platinum Dunes boys?

Related Articles

7:29PM on 04/04/2012
I liked the TCM remake alot & had high hopes the F13 remake would be just as good, but the only thing worth watching in that movie is Julianna Guill's breasts. (Does that scene ever get old?) Any ways, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a new Halloween headed by Bay would likely suck horse cock, but its not like it can get any worse than what Zombie has done to the series as Eric pointed out.

12:06PM on 04/04/2012
Let's see: Would I prefer a remake to be made by Lussier and Farmer (who are great at making fun tongue-in-cheek B-movies but would clearly be totally wrong for Halloween), or would I rather Michael f*cking Bay be allowed to buy yet another classic horror title and have it ruined by another ad/music video hack director who doesn't give a f*ck? That's kind of like being asked if you'd rather be kicked in the balls or stabbed in the gut. One is much much worse than the other, but it doesn't mean either is a good thing.

4:55AM on 04/04/2012
I was very excited for the Lussier/Farmer sequel, I'm sure they would have done a good job following up Rob Zombie's films while returning to the feel of the original films. Oh well, I guess it's time for another reboot. Hopefully Platinum Dunes doesn't dumb it down to please the ten-year-old fans like they did with Nightmare on Elm Street.

9:52PM on 04/03/2012
I really enjoyed the TCM remake and the Friday remake as well, I liked the new take on Jason personally and its a movie thats in my collection, the new Nightmare was definitely lacking in many places, but I loved Haley's Freddy, if it wasnt for him that movie would have been the worst thing I've ever seen, it could have been so much more and I wish they would have done some new stuff, new dreams, new characters, etc. why bother ripping off a scene like Freddy coming out of the wall when you make it actually look worse? Who saw that and said "yeah, that looks SO much better than the original"? Crap like that was what really brought the movie down, Jackie was just too damn good for the project :) So needless to say I'm down with a new Halloween from them, Zombies was fun and I own all of Zombies flicks but it wasnt Halloween really to me so bring on something else....

8:40PM on 04/03/2012
PLATINUM DUNES didn't Fuck-up ' ANOES ' , they just failed to bring anything new to the effort , a good movie , but why bother ? Marcus Nispel did a good job with ' FRIDAY 13th ' IMO , and his vision of '' TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE '' was freakin' brilliant !! If Nispel's on board , I'm down . If not , Lussier and Farmer for me !!

2:46PM on 04/03/2012
Zombie's movies were an interesting segueway or experiment from the material. And pretty much a damned if he did and damned if he didn't approach as all remakes are. For me personally Michael was the type of monster who didn't need to be explained so I wasn't intersted in his white trash origins. I could've got behind the movie more it wasn't Halloween and just another horror, and with the exception of Danielle Harris and Brad Dourif the casting was off. The 2 key roles of Laurie and Dr Loomis were so miscast IMO, Laurie was nowhere near strong or resourceful enough and Loomis far too up his own ass and I found both incredibly annoying and badly acted. Don't even get me started on Lindsay Wallace or Tommy Doyle characters. I honestly wish for H2 that Annie became the lead. Was a much more interesting story to me rather than bring her back to basically have her die in pretty much the same way she would've in the first. Also I like my Halloween movies to have some decent chase, stalk and kill scenes. With the excepetion of the chase of Laurie at the end of 1 and then the opening of 2 chases were missing. Zombie was brutal but to a point I didn't enjoy the kills in the way I did of the series or (for example) a Friday 13th or Nightmare movie. In short it was a slasher that didn't feel like one and I missed that. I have no idea where they could take the series after H2 but then that could be a good surprising thing if they give it to someone who can take it on a new interesting path but reinject the old Halloween feel to it at the same time. It's a tough call as I loved MBV remake and kill me but I have enjoyd PD output so far. They mightn't be classic though some are better than their reputation (which I beleive boils down to general remake hate) and even their most disappointing can be enjoyed after I down a beer or 2. As long as there's more Halloween I'll be happy.

12:50PM on 04/03/2012
Well I LOVE what they did with the Texas Chainsaw remake. I personally think it is one of the greater remakes out there and that it did the original justice by standing on its own two feet. I loved it. Friday The 13th... disappointed that it was more of a reboot than a remake. But with multiple views it's gotten better and I think that Jason was pretty badass. However I still have not forgiven PD for the shit storm that was the Nightmare remake.

Out of all the horror remakes that could be

Out of all the horror remakes that could be done, I think that Nightmare has a list of endless possibilities and what could've been a terrifying and imaginative visual horror feast... turned out to be nothing but total shit. So we'll see about Halloween I guess. I don't see how there can be another entry in the franchise directly linked to Rob Zombie's H2 without another... (gulp) reboot.

11:22AM on 04/03/2012

I dunno...

I've never been a fan of the HALLOWEEN franchise! So, I couldn't care less - but, even though Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street sucked balls, I still think that there is talent there somewhere, because I quite enjoyed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, and even the prequel (to a certain extent).

Shayk, Irina