Benicio Del Toro confirms Star Wars: Episode VIII villain talks
Last month it was reported that Benicio Del Toro was in talks with Disney and Lucasfilm for the role of the villain in STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII. Discussions were still in the early stages but apparently both studios were keen to sign the actor for the role. Neither the studio nor the actor had commented on the possibility...until now. Benicio Del Toro confirmed the reports while speaking with Entertainment Tonight during Hollywood Foreign Press Association's Grants Banquet and seemed optimistic that the deal would go through:
I can’t tell you much about it but I think it might happen. It looks like it’s gonna happen so I’m very excited. I can’t talk too much about it. The script is hard to get. They told me they’d cut my finger if I talk about it.
Benicio Del Toro, who was ten years old when the first Star Wars hit theaters, mentioned how impressed he was by its characters, story, and message; the actor said that "I saw the original one when it came out and it marked me." As a big fan of Del Toro, having him join the Star Wars franchise in any capacity would be great news, but stepping into the shoes of a brand new Star Wars baddie? Count me in. STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII, directed by Rian Johnson, should begin shooting early next year for a May 26, 2017 release. Benicio Del Toro's next film will be the exceptional looking SICARIO.
Now that things are looking a little more certain than they were a month ago, how do you feel about Benicio Del Toro joining STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII?