Blu-ray/DVD release date and disc details: The Expendables 2, The Bourne Legacy, and Killer Joe
As I mention in the newly-born Amazing Amazon Deals column, deciding what to pay for always gets tricky because there's just so many damn different things going on at once. Movies are releasing in theaters, movies are releasing on the internet, movies are releasing on Blu-ray/DVD... it can be a bit maddening. And what with the Holiday Season coming up, some of those stockings are going to need some rectangular stuffing.
But never fear - an eclectic Blu-ray/DVD trio is here! You can find below all of the details, on street dates, special features, and formats alike, for THE EXPENDABLES 2, THE BOURNE LEGACY, and KILLER JOE. Read 'em through, then scroll down further and strike back with your thoughts on which (if any) of these you'll be picking up!
"The biggest action-adventure superstars from around the world reunite in the next chapter of The Expendables franchise, THE EXPENDABLES 2, exploding into homes on Blu-ray Disc (plus Digital Copy plus UV), DVD (plus Digital Copy plus UV), Digital Download, On Demand and Pay-Per-View November 20 from Lionsgate Home Entertainment." Note that it says "exploding into homes" - I didn't put that in there, by the way. That was all Lionsgate. "A sequel to the huge box office hit, co-screenwriter and star Sylvester Stallone, takes fans on another intense adventure with his rogue team of misfits. Reunited for what they think should be a quick, in-and-out mission, this tight-knit band of old-school mercenaries are about to find themselves at the brink of global disaster and are driven to make this mission personal."
Insofar as special features and all that go, the Blu-ray and DVD discs look to be sharing the same "kick-ass" bonus features that include the following:
- Behind the scenes featurettes
- Audio commentary with director Simon West
- Gag reel
- Deleted Scenes
And here's what's happening on the pricing side of things: the Blu-ray will be available for $39.99, while the DVD will be available for $29.99. You can pick them up on November 20th.
"On the verge of having their conspiracy exposed, members of the government’s intelligence community will stop at nothing to erase all evidence of their top secret programs in THE BOURNE LEGACY, coming to Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, DVD and On Demand from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. The film is also available via Digital Download. Inspired by master storyteller Robert Ludlum’s immensely popular books, The Bourne Legacy takes the action-packed Bourne series to an explosive new level. With his life in jeopardy, agent Aaron Cross must use his genetically-engineered skills to survive the ultimate game of cat-and-mouse and finish what Jason Bourne started. For more than a decade, movie audiences worldwide have been enthralled by undercover agent Jason Bourne. A compelling mixture of riveting suspense, breathtaking action and shocking intrigue, The Bourne Legacy is the next thrilling original chapter in the hugely popular espionage franchise that has earned over $1 billion at the global box office."
- "Enter Aaron Cross" - Discover how Jeremy Renner prepared for the role of Aaron Cross.
- "Crossing Continents: Legacy on Location" - From the frigid snow peaks of Canada to the teeming urban streets of Manila, no location was out of bounds as a potential backdrop in The Bourne Legacy.
- "Man vs. Wolf" - look at the training and choreography it took to pull off the wolf sequence.
- Wolf Sequence Test: See the action of the thrilling wolf sequence at work.
- "Moving Targets: Aaron and Marta" - Director Tony Gilroy, stars Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz and others shed light on the two characters who propel the film’s intense combination of drama and action. They reveal their complementary styles of working and discuss how they forged the evolving, emotional heart of the film together.
- Also comes with added features via UltraViolet, a Digital Copy, the pocket BLU app, and BD Live.
Blu-ray and DVD shared special features:
- Deleted Scenes
- "Re-Bourne" - Find out how co-writer/director Tony Gilroy, star Jeremy Renner and the rest of the creative team expanded the Bourne universe into a new film that reveals a larger, even more dangerous conspiracy.
- "Capturing Chaos" - The Motorbike Chase: Watch Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz and 2nd unit director Dan Bradley film the thrilling climactic motorcycle chase through the chaotic and insanely congested streets of Manila.
- Feature Commentary with director/co-writer Tony Gilroy, co-writer Dan Gilroy, editor John Gilroy, director of photography Robert Elswit, second Unit director Dan Bradley and production designer Kevin Thompson.
And here's what's happening on the pricing side of things: the Blu-ray Combo Pack will be available for $34.98, while the DVD will be available for $29.98. You can pick them up on December 11th.
Academy Award-winning director William Friedkin (The French Connection, 1971) and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Tracy Letts (August: Osage County) take a trip into a Texas trailer park underworld in KILLER JOE, arriving on Blu-ray Disc, DVD, On Demand and Pay-Per-View from Lionsgate Home Entertainment. This twisted and darkly humorous story of Detective “Killer” Joe Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) has electrified audiences with its audacious spirit for deep-fried noir. Featuring a critically acclaimed performance from McConaughey, Killer Joe’s all-star cast also includes Emile Hirsch (Into The Wild), Juno Temple (The Dark Knight Rises), Gina Gershon (The Insider) and Thomas Hayden Church (Sideways). An official selection of the Venice International Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival and Edinburgh International Film Festival, Killer Joe was also a Time Out New York critic’s pick. And here's the plot again, because it's wild enough to bear repeating: Killer Joe Cooper (McConaughey) is a Dallas detective who doubles as a hit man with the charm of a southern gentleman. Chris (Hirsch) hires Joe to kill his mother in order to collect her life insurance and pay off his debts. Unable to pay for the service up front Joe takes Chris’ sister Dottie (Temple) as a retainer until he can be paid.
- Unrated cut of the film
Other than that, the Blu-ray and DVD discs will actually share the exact same bonus features:
- "Southern Fried Hospitality: From Stage to Screen"
- SXSW Q&A with cast
- Audio commentary with director William Friedkin
- SXSW Intro with William Friedkin
- Red Band Theatrical Trailer
And here's what's happening on the pricing side of things: the Blu-ray will be available for $24.99, while the DVD will be available for $19.98. You can pick them up on December 21st. The film will also be available on EST December 14.
|Extra Tidbit:||Movies makes great presents for Festivus. Just throwing that out there. It's for the rest of us!|