Exclusive: Director Bryan Singer talks X-men, Man of Steel, Russell Crowe as Wolverine and more!
Director Bryan Singer did a Q&A at The Fantasia International Film Festival in Montreal this evening and our man, Chris Bumbray, was there to catch all the info he had to spill. During the Q&A, Singer talked a great many things, including his feelings on MAN OF STEEL, the tone and timeframe of X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, Russell Crowe's stipulation to playing Wolverine, and much, much more. Singer also played the same trailer that he premiered at Comic Con this year, which you can read a full description of here (Bumbray's take was similar to mine, though, saying "Trailer was scored with inception music - looks amazing, and hugely epic, more than any comic book movie that we've ever seen except maybe THE AVENGERS").
Here's the bullet points from the Q&A, which are pretty damn interesting:
- X-MEN films somewhere between THE DARK KNIGHT and Marvel movies.
- Before starting first X-MEN watched all 70 episodes of animated series
- Release schedule moved up six months on first film, which led to a few unpleasant moments.
- On Man of Steel: Very different film. A total reconception of the Donner films.
- Brushed off suggestions Man of Steel had no charm. "Henry Cavill is pretty charming."
- His super-sequel (to his SUPERMAN RETURNS) would have been a bit like Man of Steel with an alien threat.
- Loved working with with Tom Cruise. "Great guy. Very deferential to directors"
- On STAR TREK: Thinks he's too big a fan to ever do one. Would be too precious. Thinks Abrams is better for that.
- On TRICK R TREAT (which he produced): Very proud of it. Would love to do a "suspenseful horror" like Exorcist.
- On JACK THE GIANT SLAYER: Shrugged off suggestions it was creatively compromised. The studio didn't do a great job distributing it but he's proud of the film.
- X-Men DOFP: Shot in native 3D.
- X-Men DOFP: No Scarlet Witch.
- X-Men DOFP: William Stryker will be in the film with Josh Helman playing him.
- X-Men DOFP: Not the brightest X-Men movie, but it has a good message, trying to right wrongs.
- X-Men DOFP: Most of the movie takes place in 1973. Future segments are 10 years after X3.
- X-Men DOFP: You find the characters in very different places that you saw them in First Class. Shows then becoming who they have to be.
- Remembers Russell Crowe saying he'd play Wolverine - but only if he could play him bald. Didn't work.
- Thoughts on Cyclops demise in X3: Wishes he could bring him back. Wasn't happy with that choice. Could justify bringing Xavier back because he transferred his consciousness and could possibly construct a body around that consciousness. Was however, happy about some things- like the casting of Ellen Page.
- On any Marvel movies he'd like to make: "IRON MAN so I could finally buy that house I always wanted or a plane." Seriously though, has an idea for a Marvel Universe mash up he didn't want to reveal.
- Once had a bad editing experience because he wasn't working with John Ottman. Wouldn't reveal the film (but it seems the first X-MEN was the only one Ottman didn't edit) but had such a big fight with the editor, that he smashed a bottle on the wall and was locked out of the editing room for three days.
- Are superhero movies a trend or here to stay? Believes they are our modern day mythology- our generation's King Arthur. Lots of fun to reinvent and Will be around for a long time.
Tons of info from Mr. Singer, who was forthcoming and respectable during the Q&A (which was open to the public at no charge). All in all, based on Singer's comments here and the footage that both Bumbray and I have seen for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, it feels like the director may have finally graduated into the big leagues with the latest sequel, as it finally taps into the epic mythology of the characters. There are doubters among us, and rightly so, but based on what we've seen and heard from Singer this is stacking up to be the best of the X-films to date.
X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST is set for release on May 23, 2014.
CLICK IMAGE TO OPEN GALLERY & SEE MORE PICS...
|Extra Tidbit:||A bald Wolverine? Really, Russell Crowe?|