Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season on DVD and Blu-ray is coming
I'm ashamed to say that I'm still way behind on "Game of Thrones."
I bought the first season on Blu-ray nearly a year ago, watched and utterly loved the first two episodes, and have been distracted by everything else ever since. That's not a knock on the show's quality in any way, shape, or form though - I just, for better or for worse, haven't had the time to get lost in that much time devoted to a single world/story (as there are loads of special features to watch too). And to be fair, I'm equally behind on both "Mad Men" and "Rome". Don't even talk to me about "Dexter" or "Breaking Bad" or "Boardwalk Empire" or "Luck" or "Sons of Anarchy" or "Justified." I'll get too sad.
But we're here to talk about the DVD/Blu-ray release of Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season on Feburary 19th. Because that's when it's happening. February 19th of this year.
Plot recap: "The second season of Game of Thrones was nominated for 11 2012 Emmy® awards (including Outstanding Drama Series) winning six. In this season, the coveted Iron Throne is occupied by cruel young Joffrey Baratheon, counseled by his conniving mother Cersei and his uncle Tyrion, who has been appointed Hand of the King. However, the Lannister hold on the Throne is under assault on many fronts. Robb Stark seeks autonomy in the North and has taken Cersei's brother Jaime prisoner in battle. Daenerys Targaryen looks to shore up her depleted power in the East with her three newborn dragons. Stannis Baratheon rejects Joffrey's legitimacy and aligns with a powerful priestess to raise a naval attack while his brother Renly has maintained his own claim since fleeing King's Landing. North of the Wall a new leader is rising among the wildlings adding new perils for Jon Snow and the Night's Watch."
5-Disc Blu-ray (with HBO Select) special features
- War of the Five Kings: Track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne with this interactive guide that follows the movements of various armies detailing their victories and defeats.
- Histories and Lore: 19 animated histories detailing the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves and featuring, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones storyboard artist Will Simpson.
- In-episode Guide: In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
- Hidden Dragon Eggs: Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
Also includes all DVD bonus features listed below.
5-Disc DVD special features
- Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay: See how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. The 30 minute feature showcases never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew.
- Game of Thrones: Inner Circle: Actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting season two in this roundtable discussion moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
- The Religions of Westeros: Hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.
- Character Profiles: Profiles of seven major characters as described by the actors portraying them including Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Robb Stark, Theon Greyjoy and more.
- Audio Commentaries: 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and more.
Blu-ray price: $79.98
DVD price: $ 59.99
Order date: January 15th
Runtime: Approximately 542 minutes (not including special features)
In other news, the premiere of the third season of "Game of Thrones", based on A STORM OF SWORDS (the third book in George R. R. Martin's series), is fast approaching...
|Extra Tidbit:||HBO Select, for those of you who don't know, provides DVD and Digital Download versions alongside the Blu-ray. In other news, the first season "Game of Thrones" was the best-selling TV title for 2012 as well as the fastest selling TV on Blu-ray title of all time.|