Latest Entertainment News Headlines

The top ten most pirated movies and television series of 2013

Jan. 1, 2014by:

Each year TorrentFreak compiles a list of the top ten most pirated films and television series of the year, and they recently released their new lists for 2013. I wouldn't say there are a ton of surprises on either list, but it's still interesting to see what people pirated the most last year.

Top 10 Movies

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Downloads 8,400,000  Gross $1,017,003,568

2. Django Unchained

Downloads 8,100,000 Gross $425,368,238

3. Fast And Furious 6

Downloads 7,900,000 Gross $788,679,850

4. Iron Man 3

Downloads 7,600,000 Gross $1,215,439,994

5. Silver Linings Playbook

Downloads 7,500,000 Gross $236,412,453

6. Star Trek Into Darkness

Downloads 7,400,000 Gross $467,365,246

7. Gangster Squad

Downloads 7,200,000 Gross $105,200,903

8. Now You See Me

Downloads 7,000,000 Gross $351,723,989

9. The Hangover Part 3

Downloads 6,900,000 Gross $351,000,072

10. World War Z

Downloads 6,700,000 Gross $540,007,876

Top 10 Television Series

1. Game of Thrones

Downloads 5,900,000 Est. US TV Viewers 5,500,000

2. Breaking Bad

Downloads 4,200,000 Est. US TV Viewers 10,280,000

3. The Walking Dead

Downloads 3,600,000 Est. US TV Viewers 16,110,000

4. The Big Bang Theory

Downloads 3,400,000 Est. US TV Viewers 20,440,000

5. Dexter

Downloads 3,100,000 Est. US TV Viewers 2,800,000

6. How I Met Your Mother

Downloads 3,000,000 Est. US TV Viewers 9,400,000

7. Suits

Downloads 2,600,000 Est. US TV Viewers 3,520,000

8. Homeland

Downloads 2,400,000 Est. US TV Viewers 2,380,000

9. Vikings

Downloads 2,300,000 Est. US TV Viewers 6,000,000

10. Arrow

Downloads 2,200,000 Est. US TV Viewers 3,240,00

Of course most of the highest grossing films of the year also ended up being the most pirated of 2013, however blockbusters like MAN OF STEEL and THE HUNGER GAMES didn't make the list. The biggest surprise on the movie list though might be GANGSTER SQUAD, which didn't do well in theaters or with critics. On the television side of things, this is the second year in a row HBO's Game of Thrones has been at the top of the list of most pirated TV shows.

MORE FUN FROM AROUND THE WEB

Strikeback
Not registered? Sign-up!
Or

5:18AM on 01/03/2014

I hope this makes sense.. I am a little sleep deprived ATM but work with me.

2012 IMO had a lot more GREAT MOVIES... 2013 IS OVER AND I HAVE AROUND 5 movies I need to see to be able to write my top 10, won't put a 7 in a top 10 so I'm one 8/10 away from being completed my 2013 top 10.

BUT my 2 favorite films from 2013 I like more than any film on my 2012 top 10.

SO 2012 had more GREAT FILMS but 213 HAD THE BEST FILM BETWEEN THE 2 YEARS.
2012 IMO had a lot more GREAT MOVIES... 2013 IS OVER AND I HAVE AROUND 5 movies I need to see to be able to write my top 10, won't put a 7 in a top 10 so I'm one 8/10 away from being completed my 2013 top 10.

BUT my 2 favorite films from 2013 I like more than any film on my 2012 top 10.

SO 2012 had more GREAT FILMS but 213 HAD THE BEST FILM BETWEEN THE 2 YEARS.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
12:01PM on 01/02/2014

lol

i watch at the cinema before i decide to download movies for keeping..lol
i watch at the cinema before i decide to download movies for keeping..lol
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
7:26AM on 01/02/2014

Movies stll make millions.

Does not seem to affect movie earnings at all which is a clear sign that people still prefer watching movie in the big screen.
Does not seem to affect movie earnings at all which is a clear sign that people still prefer watching movie in the big screen.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
6:15PM on 01/01/2014
Funny thing happens when I watch a pirated movie, I buy the blu-ray if it was good
Funny thing happens when I watch a pirated movie, I buy the blu-ray if it was good
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
+5
4:47PM on 01/01/2014

I wouldn't pay for most of those either...

It's unbelievable that 20 million people watch Big Bang Theory each week. It's amazing that with hundreds of TV channels, there are still a handful of shows it seems the majority of people watch.
It's unbelievable that 20 million people watch Big Bang Theory each week. It's amazing that with hundreds of TV channels, there are still a handful of shows it seems the majority of people watch.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
2:06PM on 01/01/2014
Gangster Squad is such an underrated gem
Gangster Squad is such an underrated gem
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
12:41PM on 01/01/2014

Most TV-show downloads come from outside the US...

... as for movie piracy, funny how it couldn't even prevent 2013 to be the biggest box-office year... People are going to the movies and paying these overpriced tickets during the biggest economic crisis of our time, so they better calm the fuck down with their "piracy is killing movies" shit.
... as for movie piracy, funny how it couldn't even prevent 2013 to be the biggest box-office year... People are going to the movies and paying these overpriced tickets during the biggest economic crisis of our time, so they better calm the fuck down with their "piracy is killing movies" shit.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
11:55AM on 01/01/2014
Most people pirating already watched it at the theater probably 85%. The other 15% weren't going to see anyways. And I feel like pirating TV isn't even an issue at all. With DVR, On Demand and everything else, who really cares. People are paying the cable companies still because they have the internet. Would HBO rather have everyone just give out there HBO GO passwords to their friends?
Most people pirating already watched it at the theater probably 85%. The other 15% weren't going to see anyways. And I feel like pirating TV isn't even an issue at all. With DVR, On Demand and everything else, who really cares. People are paying the cable companies still because they have the internet. Would HBO rather have everyone just give out there HBO GO passwords to their friends?
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
10:41AM on 01/01/2014
Who's downloading Big Bang Theory? It's continuously on TV anyway - it's the new Friends.
Who's downloading Big Bang Theory? It's continuously on TV anyway - it's the new Friends.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
10:26AM on 01/01/2014
Say what you will about the poor painter loosing his job painting sets (no thanks to CGI of course). But piracy also gets the movies to a wider audience and in turn causes more people to actually buy the DVD or related products. The genie is out of the bottle unless they shut down the internet there will always be piracy, they just need to stop bitching and take advantage of it.
Say what you will about the poor painter loosing his job painting sets (no thanks to CGI of course). But piracy also gets the movies to a wider audience and in turn causes more people to actually buy the DVD or related products. The genie is out of the bottle unless they shut down the internet there will always be piracy, they just need to stop bitching and take advantage of it.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
9:39AM on 01/01/2014
Regardless of piracy issue, I'm glad Arrow becomes a popular show.
Regardless of piracy issue, I'm glad Arrow becomes a popular show.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
View All Comments

Latest Entertainment News Headlines


Top
Loading...
JoBlo's T-Shirt Shoppe | support our site... Wear Our Gear!