IT'S THE BOOZE TALKIN': A Beetlejuice 2? Seriously?

09.13.2011by: Ammon Gilbert

I was around 9 or 10 years old when BEETLEJUICE came out and I remember thinking it was the funniest f*cking movie I had ever seen. Not only was it hilarious and gave me and my buddies plenty of lines to spit off to each other on a fairly regular basis (“Nice f*cking model!” *honk*honk* was by far our favorite), but it was also damn solid movie with a great soundtrack, great effects, and great performances by just about everyone in it. Hell, it even had a song and dance number featuring ghosts and dead stuff. BEETLEJUICE was the shit… and yet the idea of cranking out a BEETLEJUICE 2 (as such earlier reports have suggested) is absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, what the f*ck are these people thinking???

Of course, when something like BEETLEJUICE 2 is announced, there’s usually an underlying thread that states that it’s not really a sequel but more like a reboot or re-imagining or an update to the original. Of which, of course, I say F*CK THAT! If I had to choose the lesser of all these evils, it’d definitely be the sequel, but holy hell, all of this seems like a horrendously horrible idea. Now if Tim Burton decided to come back and direct it, and somehow managed to get Geena Davis, Alec Baldwin, Winona Ryder, and (most importantly) Michael Keaton to come back and reprise all of their respective rolls, I might be ok with this idea, but since none of the original players are involved (which screams remake, not sequel), then I F*CK THAT!

There’s something about the innocence yet absolute horrific absurdity about BEETLEJUICE that could have only come from the ‘80s and would never be able to replicate here in the 2000s. Plus, the special effects had such a genuine and organic feel to them back in the day that would be assf*cked over by CGI now. Sure, they’d be able do a whole helluva lot more with the effects now, but there was something about watching Baldwin pull his face out to a point or Davis opening her mouth so big she popped her eyeballs in her throat to see that really made the film a that more enjoyable experience. And now these dudes want to come and do it over again? A hells nah!

I’ve been on the soapbox complaining about remakes more times than I’d like to count but something about the idea of remaking/rebooting/sequeling BEETLEJUICE really ticks me off. Maybe because the film is such an icon to the horror community, to the community of Burton fans, or the community of people who like original movies. And maybe that’s the most f*cked up thing about this whole idea: when BEETLEJUICE came out, it was about as original of a movie as anyone could get. A “ghost with the most” is hired by dead people to scare the people who bought their house after they’ve died” is something you didn’t see then and it’s something you don’t see now, and it’s that Burton originality that people were drawn to. And now these f*ckin’ guys want to swoop in here and reboot it? Taking away any ounce of original street cred it had going for it and standing in line behind all of the other weaksauce ‘80s remakes that have come out and totally bombed (yeah FRIGHT NIGHT, I’m talkin’ to you!).

Maybe it’s the booze talkin’, but f*ck this BEETLEJUICE 2 news right in its shrunken headed earhole! Don’t try to recreate the genius of Burton and Keaton as I can pretty guarantee it being an absolute failure and just about the worse idea ever. There’s no need for it, there’s no use for it, and whatever reboot/remake/sequel idea they have will never be able to match or live up to the original, so why even try? Hell, I doubt it’d match up to the goddamn Saturday morning cartoon spin-off that was popular for a few years. If they were gonna do a sequel, they would have done it back then, but seeing as they didn’t, even the suites back in the day knew well enough to leave the damn thing alone and let it stand as something other horror comedies should live up to.

2:32AM on 10/26/2011
I agree with jeanericuser on the Peter Jackson, or Del Toro idea. Frighteners was really amazing, but without Keaton DON'T BOTHER!! Winona Ryder, and Geena Davis would be cool to see again. Alec needs to drop a few pounds before he could reprise his role. Even if all they got to come back was Keaton, and they got Peter Jackson to direct I'd be stoked!!

5:25PM on 09/13/2011
They've been talking about a Beetlejuice 2 almost as long as Ghostbusters 3. When they actually start filming, that would be the time to take the rumors seriously....and even then there's no guarantee that the movie would be finished and released.

4:10PM on 09/13/2011
You can not imagine how wrong you are. Beetlejuice has never really died out. Why do you think he still is a headliner at universal theme parks and still packin the seats every time. Beetlemania is still around but it has yet to get the proper treatment for a sequal/redo cause those involved went on to other things that kept them busy. If you dont believe that look at all of the resumes of those involved. Enough said.

As for how this could be done right, they need to first of all get peter

As for how this could be done right, they need to first of all get peter jackson and Del Toro involved. Those two could do more justice than burton since burton these days lacks vision compared to those two. Besides those two tend to like doing physical effects over cgi when possible so you know the stuff there wont be all cgi. As for the actors, keep micheal keaton but forget about all the others. As for story, if you actually paid attention to the movie you would realize they practicly gave a good outline. Beetlejuice at one time tried to set himself up as a bio exercist that did so much damage the establishment litterally had to put all its weight on him just to bring him down. If that is not enough potential for a story I dont know what is. As for that added scare edge, see frighteners and you will understand why i suggested jackson. This could really be done honestly. They just need to convince jackson after hobbit to consider this project. I know universal would definately jump on it since after all they have used beetlejuice for several years now so an update would definately work nice for their parks. I can understand where your view is coming from on this but I think you are still too trapped on the nostalgia and the booze to forget that some times a movie can be fantastic if there is the right people involved.

4:08PM on 09/13/2011
Reboot means Remake, hollywood simply made so many crappy remakes that the word alone is a tarnish against the film. And so far Reboots mean recasting everyone and hiring a music video director and a couple of cheap writers. If Burton was involved and had a new idea for Beetlejuice then ok, otherwise without Burton and Keaton this movie will blow. And Hollywood remains baffled trying to figure out why people pirate a crappy quality bootleg off the internet and watch it on a 2 inch screen. This remake does really push it to a new level of obnoxious money grubbing.

2:15PM on 09/13/2011

Amen Ammon!

This is, next to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, THE childhood favorite of mine. I absolutely love Beetlejuice. There are only so many ways it could succeed as even a fucking sequel. Naturally, Burton and Keaton are absolute musts. And, as I've stated elsewhere, leave the Maitlands out of it. Alec Baldwin is too fat, Geena Davis might could do Benjamin Button-style youth, but my main point, ghosts don 't age.

I'll give 'em this. If Sylvia Sidney hadn't passed away, I think a whole new Beetlejuice story could potentially work. Unfortunately, Juno went on to the Afterlife, and this project is fucked from the get-go.

Keaton and Davis have, independent of this latest news, talked about a desire to maybe revisit it. While Keaton could pull of the Betelgeuse about as well as back then, thanks to the heavy makeup, it's better left as a pipe dream.

10:12AM on 09/13/2011
While I agree that it will most likely turn out to be a bad idea, I thought Burton was loosely involved? I seem to remember someone mentioning that he suggested the writers of Dark Shadows. So maybe if they turn out something he likes, he'll come back. Although after his recent films, i'm not so sure that's a good idea.

And Keaton has already said in interviews that Beetlejuice is the one role he would like to return to...

So that's two of the major players at least interested. As much as

So that's two of the major players at least interested. As much as I expect a bomb, I'm still hoping for the best. If nothing else....i'll be happy to potentially see Keaton in the role again. Whether the movie is garbage or not.

7:32AM on 09/13/2011
Remaking/Rebooting Beetlejuice is a bad idea. The original by Tim Burton is a comedic gold and cult classic. Why would anyone want to destroy that? Greed, I guess. And lately lots of remake movies that were based on 80s movies have bombed, i.e. Fright Night (your example of course, Ammon), WarGame (a direct-to-DVD back in 2008 or 2009 I guess), Fame, and probably soon to be released Footloose.

5:04AM on 09/13/2011