Out Of The Grave: This Week on The Walking Dead (Episode 13 / March 10, 2013)

Mar. 11, 2013by: J.A. Hamilton

Join us every MONDAY as we review the latest episode...

EPISODE 13: Arrow on the Doorpost

THE HOOK: With Hershel's farm overrun, Rick and company are on the move again. They come across a prison which Rick feels would be perfect...once it's purged of walkers. But the dead aren't the only danger lurking in the shadows.

THE LOWDOWN: (The following column contains MAJOR SPOILERS, so I don't recommend reading this if you haven't watched this episode). So Rick and the Governor walk into a barn...sounds like a great start to a joke, but there was absolutely no funny business between these guys as they sized one another up under the guise of "discussing peace". Yeah, like that was going to happen. Odd that they were quick to show that gun strapped to the table on the Governor's side, yet nothing became of it (I think he left it there). The dialogue and tension between these two was all kinds of awesome. It was obvious that Rick wanted to shoot this fool in the face (and vice versa), but they still managed to sit and even drink a bit of whiskey while they chatted. It's a shame the terms couldn't be agreeable, but then again, we knew they wouldn't be.

As much as I loved the mano a mano brewing inside, the outside was fairly interesting as well. The masculinity contest between Daryl and Martinez was fun, and we even got a bit of character insight into the governor's man who, until now, was simply a cookie cutter henchman. He still is mind you, but it was cool to see him open up about his wife and kids as well as both he and Daryl calmly agree that it doesn't matter what gets said, they're still going to war. It was a mutual respect between gladiators, but here's hoping they don't meet on the field of battle to put this to the test. At the same time it was nice to see Hershel and Milton break bread and lighten the mood (the joke about not showing his leg until he buys him a drink first was priceless). Milton is a good hearted individual who knows grim tidings are coming. I'm sure he's always known and just chose to ignore it, but now, in light of these new events unfolding, I'm wondering if he'll change sides in the not so distant future.

Speaking of changing sides, what the hell's up with Andrea? This nonsense has gone on long enough. The guy's a terrorist, torturer, manipulator and far more bloodthirsty than any walker, a fact Andrea's been made aware of several times, yet she still decides to stay with him. On a good note, Maggie and Glenn finally make up and have prison makeup sex (yay). She must've been turned on by Glenn and Merle's throw down. I'm amazed Merle wasn't allowed to go with Daryl in the first place, it would make sense to have at least seen him make a fuss over it. Clearly being a loose cannon that nobody can anticipate, I see why they'd say no, but why not make an issue of it before everyone leaves rather than after? I liked Michonne's approach to Merle's plan as well, she really is shaping up to be one of the group.

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 3's thirteenth episode gave us the confrontational meeting we all demanded and it was damn good too, but trading Michonne for peace? Get the f*ck out of here with that foolishness. I know Rick's still a noble man at heart, it became even more clear last episode when he tried his damndest to save Morgan, and I know he'd have to consider this in his head--and of course bounce it off someone like Hershel--but there's no way he'll do it. Rick's no fool, like he said to the Governor's face, he sees the devil beside him and there's no reasoning with the devil. He knows damn well the Governor won't keep his word, so he doesn't need Hershel to talk him out of anything. I have faith that he'll make the right decision, I'm more curious about all the other players in the game, where their allegiances lye and how it's all going to play out.

ZOMBIE KILL OF THE WEEK: Martinez goes bat crazy and nails one walker's face to the wall with a grand slam swing.

BLOOD AND GORE: A few walkers get a beat down and we have to look at the Governor's bad eye.

WHOSE HEAD BELONGS IN THE GOV'S FISHTANK: Andrea. If Andrea was a useless member of the group (ie: Carol. Sorry Carol), I wouldn't be so angry, but she's a crack shot and pretty good at motivating people which makes her valuable. She needs to get her shit together, and telling the Governor about Shane and Lori (which he shamelessly throws in Rick's face) was low.

COOLEST SCENE: Maybe it's due to the buildup or maybe I'm just one for confrontations, but my favorite scene was Rick walking into that barn and cocking his gun just before the Governor walks out of the shadows. A lot of eye fury follows, which was equally cool in its own right.

FINAL VERDICT:

TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS EPISODE BELOW!

Extra Tidbit: Putting the fact that she's a total badass aside, would you give up Michonne if you thought there was a chance for peace?

3:12AM on 03/12/2013

Who's the spy?

How did the Governor know about all the guns the group got from Morgan. Is Merle still with Woodbury?
Did the Governor turn Maggie?
Did the Governor turn Maggie?

10:06PM on 03/12/2013
You know that was something that I caught and let it slip right out of mind. Someone be snitching
10:10PM on 03/11/2013
Another great episode. It may lack action. But what we got instead was verbally abusive conversation between The Governor and Rick. I predict that another one or two episodes will be somewhat like this and the final showdown will be in the last episode. Just a guess.

8:25PM on 03/11/2013
Seeing RIck and the Governor's battle of words while his crew got to know Rick's people was emotionally believable given their circumstances. This is a war of egos and even Rick doesn't want it unless it's absolutely necessary.

6:16PM on 03/11/2013
This was perfect setup for the all out war that's about to rock the show. Loved it.

6:08PM on 03/11/2013

9/10? Really?

This episode was incredibly dull. The pacing was horrible.

The problem I have with this weeks ep, and to a much lesser degree last weeks ep, is that everything we see in it could have been handled in 5 minutes of a faster paced episode like we had earlier in the season.

With three episodes left I expected a lot more.
This episode was incredibly dull. The pacing was horrible.

With three episodes left I expected a lot more.

6:17PM on 03/11/2013
This is the buildup to the last couple episodes. How are you not seeing that? And last week's episode was one of the best of the season. Maybe you should stop watching the show.
8:28PM on 03/11/2013
God, I'm sick of douchbags like you who think if the show isn't packed with action and zombies it's a crap episode. It's an action/drama and one of the key reasons it's successful is due to the fact that these characters are given the time to build. Pacing and emotion are key to making a story like this work. If you want nonstop action, go watch a movie cause this show ain't for you.
9:15PM on 03/11/2013
I thought last week's episode was great, which is why I said, "to a much lesser degree."

The problem with the writing and pacing of this weeks episode wasnt that it was a build up, but a stand still. It didnt resolve any issues.

It went from, we're at war to talk talk talk to we're at war. You could have skipped this weeks episode and not missed out on anything.

It was a filler episode and lazy story telling.

Goddess, do you even read? Seriously, you're the douchbag, I never said

It was a filler episode and lazy story telling.

Goddess, do you even read? Seriously, you're the douchbag, I never said there was a lack of zombie action did I?

What emotion was in this episode? Rick's cold stare? The BEST interaction was between the Daryl and Hershel and their counterparts on the other team. Everything else was just rehashed from previous episodes.

This ep was FILLER and nothing more.
3:20PM on 03/11/2013
Andrea needs to catch a stray bullet, or katana blade to the face.
Andrea needs to catch a stray bullet, or katana blade to the face.

2:01PM on 03/11/2013
Rick and company whipped Woodbury's ass once, yes they caught them off guard, but still I don't think The Gov's troops have them out manned by all that much. Rick isn't stupid he knows exactly what The Gov is and what he is capable of. Although the second Gov threatened my kid I would have popped him off and been done with it. Fuck Andrea, she been spilling the beans on the whole group while getting some Gov dick.

12:21PM on 03/11/2013
The buildup here is nuts and like you said, it's more than just about two people now, it's about seeing how each and every one of the characters are going to react to the coming events. There's so many unique character outlooks that it's bound to be layered awesomeness. Can't believe there's only three episodes left this season.

12:00PM on 03/11/2013
I have a feeling that there is going to be some major moves by Milton next week. On a side note was there a name for the doctor in the comic in the town?

11:40AM on 03/11/2013

Michonne

I agree about Rick's conscience, but lets be real, there's no way he'd give up Michonne, she's just too damn cool.

11:12AM on 03/11/2013
The Rick and Gov meeting was epic and you know Rick wanted to shoot him, but that wouldn't be good for the plot so he didn't (but in real life he totally would have). The Gov: "Hi, I'm the Governor..." BANG. Rick: "No, you were the Governor, bitch."

11:41AM on 03/11/2013
Lol, that's awesome!
Lol, that's awesome!
12:00AM on 03/12/2013
Haha, that would have been the greatest ending ever.
Haha, that would have been the greatest ending ever.
10:17AM on 03/11/2013
Did you see the clip of next week's ep they aired during Talking Dead? Milton does begin to plan against the Gov.

11:00AM on 03/11/2013
No I didn't, but I knew it was gonna happen ;)
No I didn't, but I knew it was gonna happen ;)

Ramsey, Laura