Kevin Williamson says he will not be writing Scream 5?!

03.03.2012by: Jared Pacheco
So we haven't really heard much in regards to SCREAM 5 since SCREAM 4 came out. A lot of you probably think that's a good thing. This schmuck? I love myself a fun SCREAM flick so I would've been down for a part five. One guy who isn't down - Kevin Williamson.

The scribe recently chatted it up with Assignment X for the upcoming third season of "The Vampire Diaries." When asked about SCREAM 5, Williamson responded with the following:

"I donít know. Iím not doing it."

Can't get much point blank than that. If SCREAM 5 is indeed happening, it's without Kevin Williamson. Kind of funny hearing this considering Williamson was tapped to pen the whole "new trilogy," right? Williamson or not, if SCREAM 5 does happen you can bet we'll be right here updating you every step of the way.

Franchise star Courtney Cox
Extra Tidbit: What would you like to see happen in SCREAM 5?
Source: AssignmentX

10:03PM on 03/05/2012
If the rumors are true and Kevin WAS [link] obligated to do another trilogy, then he should do it. For the fans, if nothing else. I, for one, would love (and am hoping) to see where they could go with a new trilogy.

Alternatively, if Kevin is done with the franchise, then the Weinsteins should hire someone to work off of Mr. Williamson's ideas, who knows where he is doing, (I.E. NOT Ehren Krueger) and who has a genuine love for both the series AND the fans.

Hey, here's an idea. Maybe

Hey, here's an idea. Maybe Wes Craven could write the next 2 films. Sure, he hasn't been up to par lately, but maybe all he needs is the vacation he's taking at the moment. Let the man rest up, then maybe he'd be up for taking the penmanship reins. Mr. Craven is as familiar with the material as Kevin is, anyway.

6:32PM on 03/04/2012
I would love to have a Scream 5, like you said, I love a good Scream flick so even if its not that amazing I'll still watch it because although they are no longer as smart and hip as the original they are still fun flicks!
Pretty unfortunate that the Weinsteins ruined their relationship with Williamson, reports from insiders say his original script for 4 was a lot longer and character driven than what we actually got and it also had a thick backstory similar to Scream 1, the Weinsteins decided to meddle and make it much shorter and get rid of a lot of the character development. Funny because that was what was missing from this one!
I'm sure other writers could do a good job with the series, but if Williamson isnt back I doubt Craven and the 3 leads would want to return, it seems like they only would come back if everyone was included.

2:17PM on 03/04/2012
Love all things Scream (yes even 3 for all its faults) and I loved 4 though again i would have tweaked a few parts I was a very happy fan. I'd love to see a 5th though no Williamson leaves me dubious. If they can steer clear of Ehren Kruger, why they go back to him when he's been the series achilles heel (well if discount Weinstein meddling but thats a whole other looooooooong rant)is beyond me. Williamson was planning a new trilogy, not sure if they will continue this direction as I'm assuming they were happy with his ideas to start making a 4th and start that new trilogy - but perhaps if they take his outline of overall idea and give to someone fresh then it could be interesting.
As for what I'd like to see?.... definately liked the brutality of the 4th, loved the originals though it's time for Dewey to die and Sid and Gale have yet to properly team up for a big chase and fight with Ghostface. Given their history its long overdue and a missed opportunity to have them kept so apart through the sequels. The discarded ideas for 3 and 4 (particularly the openings) would be fun to see. I know its an arguing point for some, but these movies are about Sid's life and we need her for the connection. If all your gonna do is bring her back to kill her, count me out. I have rooted for her through 4 movies to see that shit.

6:12PM on 03/03/2012
I liked Scream 4, but if KW is done, then I think the franchise should be as well. It's reached a point where there's only a few angles left they could even approach Scream 5 from anyways. I have to wonder if his position is based more on him thinking the Scream storyline is finished or from him not wanting to work with Bob Weinstein on another Scream project.

3:46PM on 03/03/2012
As much as I disagree about Scream 4 sucking, I think this series has said all it could possibly say. Maybe they'll make a good fifth entry, you never know, but I just can't see it being that great.

3:24PM on 03/03/2012
Scream 4 sucked. let it die.
Scream 4 sucked. let it die.

Roberts, Emma