Rob Zombie working on new film in the vein of Devil's Rejects

Feb. 20, 2014by: Eric Walkuski

Rob Zombie is going back to his gritty roots for his next film, the musician-director revealed in a new interview. For years Zombie has been trying to get a hockey film, BROAD STREET BULLIES, off the ground, but it looks like that's on hold in favor of a film in the same vein as THE DEVIL'S REJECTS. (Although one not containing the same characters.)

Here's what Zombie had to say about the process of the transition from BROAD STREET to this new project:

"I was working on this thing called Broad Street Bullies, which was a hockey film, but that got put on the backburner because something else popped up… I'd been working on this hockey film for over two years, it took so much research and work, and I was literally sitting with someone going, 'You know, I have this other idea…'

And I said the idea and they go, 'We'll make that!' And I put together a one-line pitch, because I didn't want to go to pitch meetings and do all that. I'd call them on the phone and go, "Here's my idea, blah blah blah,' and they're like, 'We're in!' So you slave over something for years and it's still difficult, and you say some crazy thing off the top of your head and they say 'Where do we sign?'. And that turned into a weird bidding war. And that became the next film."

Although he doesn't spill any plot info, he gave us this much about said next film:

I think it's something fans of the other stuff will like. Probably fans of The Devil's Rejects will enjoy the most. It's not connected to that film but it's more on that headspace".

You can bet that whatever this new flick is, it won't resemble HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, which Zombie has nothing but disdain for now.

"The first film [House of 1000 Corpses], which people seems to love, is just a calamitous mess. Well, when it came out it seemed like everyone hated it. Now everyone acts like it's beloved in some way. All I see is flaw, upon flaw, upon flaw… upon flaw."

SHould be interesting - for some - to find out more about this new project.

Extra Tidbit: Do HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES and THE DEVIL'S REJECTS stand the test of time for you?
Source: 3News

Related Articles

8:34PM on 02/20/2014

Robocop?

Fuck Him! I prefer Owe Bowl! At least thé man makes me laugh!
Fuck Him! I prefer Owe Bowl! At least thé man makes me laugh!

4:33PM on 02/20/2014

Really Rob Zombie?

He basically said, "THIS HOCKEY FILM IS TOO HARD TO MAKE, I'M GOING TO GO DO SOMETHING EASY THAT I'VE DONE ALREADY!"

5:30PM on 02/20/2014
Did you read the article? He said he was attempting to get "Broad Street Bullies" going, and when he threw out another idea spontaneously, and his producers, etc. bit.
It doesn't sound as though he's interested in it at all.
It doesn't sound as though he's interested in it at all.
4:01PM on 02/20/2014
The Devil's Rejects is the best Rob Zombie film I've seen. 1000 Corpses is fun in various ways but definitely Rejects took his films to another level. Be interesting to see what he comes up with next.

3:43PM on 02/20/2014
No thanks. Zombie's a hack.
No thanks. Zombie's a hack.

1:53PM on 02/20/2014
...so basically rednecks and nonstop cursing over 70s rock?
...so basically rednecks and nonstop cursing over 70s rock?

1:37PM on 02/20/2014
Love the man and his work, but "The Lords of Salem" was disappointment and mediocrity incarnate...and his pitch and ideas for this new flick don't sound genuine in any sense--he seems to be making it for the sake of making it, which is concerning and somewhat alienating for me...I wasn't into "Broad Street Bullies", but he certainly seemed to be...he doesn't sound even remotely interested in this new project.
His thoughts about "Corpses" don't surprise me; he's voiced his displeasure with the production and post-production forever...he says otherwise, but I do wonder if we'll ever see the Director's Cut of "Corpses"....
I'm hoping at some point he goes back to a place where he can tap into his real talents and abilities; "Salem" wasn't it.

1:19PM on 02/20/2014

I liked Rob Zombie's movies....

until I saw the piece of shit that was The Lords of Salem. He seriously needs to redeem himself for that garbage. Also, I thought I read somewhere that he was done horror???

1:09PM on 02/20/2014

Wow

I like that fact that he is going back to that kind of film but I am very surprised to hear him say how much he dislikes House of 1000 Corpses. A shame really

12:39PM on 02/20/2014
Loved most of Zombie's work behind the camera, with his Halloween films being my least favorites. Am very happy that he's doing another one! He's a love him or hate him director and personally I dig his work. Bring it Zombie!

12:06PM on 02/20/2014
Hate the first one, but love Rejects. Its cool he's coming back, but I'm also bummed his hockey movie didn't pan out.

Shayk, Irina