Comic Con 2012: Resident Evil: Retribution with Milla Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez...
I'm going to be honest here, by the time this panel started I had been in Hall H for 7 straight hours. The only thing I ate all day was a $9 personal pizza and some nachos. At one point I had to move for some gigantic woman in a Poison Ivy costume and ended up sitting on my nuts. This panel had nothing going for it by the time it started. I'm a huge fan of the video games - which means I kind of hate the movies. On stage I see director, Paul W.S. Anderson, Milla Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez, Oded Fehr, Mika Nakashima, and Boris Kodjoe. They're happy. I'm not. Let's do this.
- Paul W.S. wanted to make the ultimate film for the fans. He apparently made it bigger, better, and more epic than any of the others.
- The film was shot all over the world. Moscow, Tokyo, Washington, and New York all play a big part in the production.
- Paul loves Milla's performance in the film (go figure) because it's a different feel for the character. There's no super powers, she's just a normal suburban housewife. "It's just her vs. the terror."
- Milla admits to being terrified of having to play it so normal. She was so used to playing a superhero that she realized she didn't know how to play Alice as a normal person anymore.
- My favorite moments of the panel are when Mika is asked a question. She speaks no English and has a translator sitting behind her. Once she hears the question she answers for two minutes straight. This is how the first question went. Moderator Buy: "Mika, how did you like working with Milla and what was your favorite part of filming?" Mika: a two minute beautifully crafted answer which nobody in the room understands. Translator: "She liked the zombie make-up." How was I the only one laughing at this shit?
- Clip: Two and a half minutes of the climatic final battle between Alice and Jill Valentine (Sienna Guillory). Rodriguez (all zombified) and Kodjoe also square off. Anderson says the actual scene is over 9 minutes long and kicks mucho ass. It's pretty decent. a lot of what you'd expect from these films. Slo-mo, tight leather, and more slo-mo.
- Some guy gets to the mic and asks Rodriguez if she'd have sex with him. She laughs her ass off and tells the dude he looks like her old neighbor. He is then escorted out of the building, with no sex.
- When asked who her inspiration was to become such an ass-kicking female icon, Rodriguez answers with Milla Jovovich. Convenient.
- Anderson is asked if he will ever continue the series with the Leon character and Milla cuts off the answer and gets upset that they're talking about the end of Alice. She then rambles for 5 minutes about how she never wanted the franchise to end. The question never gets answered. Rodriguez calls bullshit.
- When asked how much they can bench, Milla and Michelle have no idea what they're talking about. Milla actually thinks the question means "planking". People giggle for minutes and then they answer that they have no idea. Michelle says she never works out, she just dances.
- One of the worst Q&As ever.