Ghostbusters III script is being retooled after the death of Harold Ramis

Feb. 25, 2014by: Ryan Miller

This sucks. Honestly, I was never very excited about the idea of a third GHOSTBUSTERS film simply because it has been dangled in front of us for so damn long with absolutely no results. But now, with the recent death of Harold Ramis, a GHOSTBUSTERS III just won't be the same. But as they say, the show must go on.

Per THR, Harold Ramis' death on Feb. 24 has left Sony scrambling to keep GHOSTBUSTERS III on track since Ramis, who died at age 69 due to complications from autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, was to have made a cameo appearance in the film. So now it looks like Ivan Reitman, who is directing the film, will meet with Sony to assess how to move forward on the project that is in active development.

Ramis, who starred in the 1984 original and 1989 sequel alongside Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, was poised to appear in a third outing in a cameo role—like Murray and Aykroyd—that set up a baton-passing to a trio of newcomers.

The site also says that the script STILL isn't far enough along to even begin shooting this year so who knows when we'll ever see this thing actually happen. All I know is, without Ramis, it's really going to miss something special.

Extra Tidbit: What are your thoughts on a GHOSTBUSTERS III without Ramis?
Source: THR

6:32AM on 02/26/2014

No no no no....

This is so disrespectful, fair enough if they reboot. But no Murray? and Ramis passing away, no sequel, it's over. It's sad as you get older and start to see people who played such an important part of your childhood pass away.

12:43AM on 02/26/2014
nope just a bad idea disrespectful imo but its hollywood wtf do you expect
nope just a bad idea disrespectful imo but its hollywood wtf do you expect

9:00PM on 02/25/2014
I know, I'm going to get shot for asking this. Why not just reboot the franchise?

9:23PM on 02/25/2014
Because the humor isn't in the ghostbusters, the humor is in the chemistry between Aykroyd, Murray, Ramis, and Hudson. Most reboots we've seen are devoid of energy, because it's nearly impossible to capture lightning in a bottle more than once, which explains Murray's reluctance to do another sequel.
9:28PM on 02/25/2014
I'm sure at some point the studio will decide to reboot. Sigh.
I'm sure at some point the studio will decide to reboot. Sigh.
8:28PM on 02/25/2014
Ghostbusters as a franchise was retired the moment he died as far as I'm concerned.

There's really no point in seeing what they do with it, it'll end up being Blues Brothers 2000 without Murray and Ramis.

8:18PM on 02/25/2014
It's going to be hard to watch Ghostbusters without Harold Ramis, same as Fast & Furious without Paul Walker. I'm sure they'll have to fix the script as a some sort of reunion for (in the movie) Egon Spengler's death and we'll get to see new group of boffins Ghostbusters and take the story from there. Just a thought.

8:16PM on 02/25/2014
You cant do it with Ramis..I mean Egon was a very important character in the series...yeah you MIGHT be able to do the movie without him, but then I would expect more involvement from Bill Murray...meaning he would have to be in the movie for real....*shrug* I really think they should scrap the whole idea in respect to Harold Ramis.

Monroe, Maika