It's the Booze Talkin': We are sure gonna miss Paul Walker

Dec. 4, 2013by: JimmyO

The first time I met Paul Walker I was on the set of FAST AND FURIOUS (the fourth installment in the series). At the time, it wasn’t exactly obvious how big the franchise would become but it was clear that Universal had faith in it. Either way I was thrilled to witness the beginning of a new chapter for the series and I was especially looking forward to meeting Mr. Walker. During the interview he offered very honest reasons for doing another sequel yet clearly he had an amazing work ethic. After the interview, we talked a little more about the film and whatever else came up. He was the kind of guy that makes you feel comfortable. Friendly, funny and real with not an ounce of pretension, this is the kind of person, famous or not, you’d want to hang out with.

I am honored to say that I had more than one opportunity to chat with him and every single time I continued to gain respect for this talented man. Needless to say it hit pretty damn hard when I heard about the tragedy that happened this past weekend. But I’m not here to talk about the accident that claimed the life of Mr. Walker and his good friend Roger Rodas. There has been far too much spoken about it whether it has been speculation or misinformation. Frankly it is far too heartbreaking just to see some of the headlines or the disturbingly negative forum posts on IMDB as well as other sites. The truth is I feel very privileged to have had the chance to speak with him. His death comes as a shock to everybody, yet it is his good friends and family that are suffering the most and to them I offer my condolences.

What I do want to talk about is some of the genre work which made me a fan to begin with. While not necessarily Arrow in the Head specific, I feel compelled to talk a little about THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS. In the beginning I wasn’t a fan of the films. The first didn’t necessarily appeal to me, even when the franchise seemed to rev it up a bit for the third sequel by reuniting its original cast for FAST AND FURIOUS, after PART 2 and TOKYO DRIFT. However it was the fifth installment that sealed the deal. The high-octane, thrill-a-minute flicks have increased in budget and star-power and proved that you can absolutely make a better and more satisfying sequel. Aside from the action, what I have always enjoyed about these flicks – even in the beginning - is the chemistry between the leads including Walker, Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster.

Of course we here at Arrow in the Head hold a special place in our hearts for a couple of Walker’s earlier films. I had heard quite the buzz when I finally got a peek at director John Dahl’s road rage inspired 2001 thriller JOY RIDE. This may not have been my first introduction to the actor, but damned if I wasn’t impressed! He did a fantastic job in this suspense laden flick alongside Steve Zahn. Neither actor were familiar faces in horror so it was nice to see that the two worked so incredibly well together making things all the more involving once shite hit the fan. JOY RIDE is a perfect blend of tense action, thrills and even a little bit of well-placed humor. It also featured the very attractive Leelee Sobiesky as the damsel in distress. If you haven’t checked this one out, you owe it to yourself to do so.

It won’t be a surprise for most of you who have been following this site that we dug the actor’s performance in Wayne Kramer’s gritty thriller RUNNING SCARED (2006). With both the FAST AND FURIOUS franchise as well as JOY RIDE, Walker had a lot of support. This time he ably carried this crime drama as a well-intentioned thug trying to save his family from some deadly dangerous criminals. While the feature didn’t set the box office ablaze it has certainly found itself to be a cult classic. It also happened to feature terrific performances from Vera Farmiga and Chazz Palminteri. The director and Walker really enjoyed working together and it showed in the quality of the film – they recently collaborated in this year’s white trash comedy anthology PAWN SHOP CHRONICLES which I personally enjoyed the hell out of for all its outrageousness. Wayne posted a very loving tribute to his friend and it is a wonderful read, you can check it out here .

Maybe it’s the booze talkin’, but this time it feels like tons more than that, Paul Walker was not only a great guy but a talented actor. I was a fan of his work in films like FAST FIVE (and beyond), PLEASANTVILLE, FLAGS OF OUR FATHER and of course as an all-around amazing human being thanks to the fact that he was one of the nicest guys around – charitable work, fan friendly, great to work with, you name it. While his resume isn’t fueled by horror, he did partake in a couple of movies that we loved. For action and horror fans, both JOY RIDE and RUNNING SCARED would be a great way to look back at his career and remember the cool and collected, but always down-to-earth actor that worked hard yet he made it all look so easy. RIP Mr. Walker... I only wish we could have seen all the great work you had in store.

Extra Tidbit: What is your favorite Paul Walker flick?

9:52AM on 12/05/2013
my neighbor's step-mother makes 86 dollar hourly on the laptop. She has been out of a job for 7 months but last month her pay check was 20910 dollar just working on the laptop for a few hours. navigate to this website... www.Buzz19.com

7:13PM on 12/04/2013

no one has mentioned Into the Blue

While i loved Running Scared and remember being tense as all hell watching Joy Ride i think Into The Blue was a great thriller and showed a lot of range from him.. most people only remember it for Jessica Alba in a bikini for 90 minutes but he was a great lead.. RIP Paul

6:15PM on 12/04/2013

RIP Paul

I first saw Paul Walker in Meet the Deedles and have been a fan ever since. I was about 11 when I saw the first fast and the furious and I thought it was the coolest movie ever made at the time. Me and my friends probably saw it three times in the theaters. I have always thought he was a solid actor and even when he was in bad films, he was able to class them up. Rip to a man gone far too soon.

11:50AM on 12/04/2013

Very Loving Tribute

This was a very good and sweet tribute to an actor that seemed pretty cool in real life. Thanks for sharing.

Extra Tidbit- 'Running Scared' is his best movie and performance, IMO. I always enjoyed him in the goofy but underrated 'Into The Blue' and thought his release earlier this year, 'Vehicle 19' was pretty good for going DTDVD. 'Joy Ride' is one of my favorite horror films from the 2000s.

11:36AM on 12/04/2013

RIP Paul Walker

Running Scared all the way. I loved that movie!!
Running Scared all the way. I loved that movie!!

11:17AM on 12/04/2013
Wrote him off as a pretty boy till I caught him in Running Scared, turned my opinion right around and made me realize the fellow could bring it. Sad to see him go, will have to grab a copy of Pawn Shop Chronicles as soon as its out here in europe.

10:46AM on 12/04/2013
It ain't the booze talking. It's definitely much more. I first saw Paul Walker in Pleasantville, and can't imagine another actor better suited for playing the perfect boyfriend. Running Scared was definitely a revelation, but in the movies I've seen him in, he always managed to bring what was needed. I only saw the first Fast and the Furious movie, and while it's a blow-by-blow remake of Point Break, the chemistry is undeniable. Steve Zahn stole the show for me in Joy Ride, but that's not to say Walker didn't hold his own. Running Scared and Pleasantville are still my favorites though.

10:26AM on 12/04/2013
i watched pawn shop chronicles the day he died and just made me miss the guy more thought he was great as a meth head loved running scared as well great article

10:47AM on 12/04/2013
Glad I'm not the only one that dug Pawn Shop Chronicles! He was terrific in that!
11:25AM on 12/04/2013
I'm so glad to see people giving PSC props. Most critics tore it to shreds but JimmyO just 'got it'...like he usually does with his reviews! The writer (Adam Minarovich) and I were thiiiiisss close to just producing it ourselves until the script was bought, originally with Fred Durst set to direct and Paul Walker himself producing. I believe it was Paul that got Wayne Kramer involved and I'm glad he did. Kramer's distinct visual style just fit the admittedly off-kilter script. There is no way Adam and I could've made the film even a quarter as cool as Kramer did. And I maintain that no other actor could've made Raw Dog as hilariously entertaining as Walker did. He owned it!
11:54AM on 12/04/2013
it was a odd movie thats one reason i enjoyed felt like some weird dream with brendan fraser selling his soul and elijah wood playing a nutjob and i loved the bit with the slipknot clown mask lol
9:15AM on 12/04/2013
I enjoyed his work and have seen most of his movies. Joy Ride was great fun, Running Scared is still one of my favorite movies and of course FF franchise is a guilty pleasure. It really is tragic that something like this happened to what seemed like such a wonderful person. I never knew he was involved in so many charities as well. I read a story yesterday where a Vet and his girlfriend went to buy an engagement ring but it was 10,000. He told his girlfriend sorry and that he couldn't afford it. Walker overheard the conversation, walked up to the owner of the store and told them to put the ring on his bill but the store owner had to promise not to tell the couple who purchased it for them. That is just so amazing and goodhearted.

He was an actor that you never heard about off screen. Never got arrested (as far as I know) never got mad and punched a paparazzi or beat on his girlfriend, no drugs or alcohol abuse. In other words, he wasn't plastered all over TMZ for doing dumb shit. He kept to himself, and did wonderful things for people and even his work in marine biology. I never knew he did all of this until after his death. Extremely heartbreaking. I have heard people saying "he's just an actor. You didnt know him. Why are you upset?. I said this in another article and I will say it again. If you grow up following an actor and that person dies, it hits hard. Of course you didn't know them personally, but you followed them for years. This may sound strange but you feel connected to that person. Some people are so influenced by an actor or movie that it changes their lives. As for Walker, some have been following him for 15 years or more. Its just so sad to see such a goodhearted persons life ended in such a way. He will be missed by many for his work in film and also for all the work he did around the world. He was truly an inspiration.

10:31AM on 12/04/2013
Oh yeah, I read that story about him secretly buying the ring for that couple. Great guy.
8:54AM on 12/04/2013
Mr. Walker was a misunderstood actor. People thought of him as just another pretty face while he's actually quite a talented actor. He can play gritty characters (Running Scared or even Fast & Furious) or everyday guy caught in terrible situation (Joy Ride). Worth mentioning is Vehicle 19. The movie isn't that great but Mr. Walker made it watchable. I sure will miss him - great guy who's gone way too soon. Extra tidbit: Joy Ride.

8:44AM on 12/04/2013
ET: Running Scared, although Pawn Shop Chronicles is a close 2nd.
ET: Running Scared, although Pawn Shop Chronicles is a close 2nd.

Argyris, Michelle