Only inevitable! Insidious filmmakers James Wan & Leigh Whannell announce sequel

02.02.2012by: Jake Dee

Can anyone say this one comes as a shock? Come on, when you're easily one of the most profitable movies of the year, you know your ass is getting sequelized!

And that's exactly what's going down with last year's massive horror hit INSIDIOUS. Word from Deadline is Leigh Whannell will ink the sequel, and that James Wan is in negotiations to return to the director's chair as well. Also returning are producers Jason Blum and his Blumhouse Productions, not to mention Oren Peli and his P.A. producers Brian Kavanaugh Jones and Steven Schneider. One big happy reunion, it seems.

As you might imagine, no plot details have been divulged at this time. Hell, we don't even have a title. Even so, here's what Whannell said in a recent statement:

“Insidious was the most fun project I’ve ever worked on...From start to finish it was an absolute joy—from the writing of the screenplay, all the way to the first screening of the film at the Toronto film festival. I believe that James Wan and I achieved what we set out to do—create a horror film for horror fans…Both of us feel that we can mine more terror from the world we created and know that if we assemble every member of the original team, we will have an amazing continuation of the story for fans of the first film.”

Hells yeah! Can't get mad at that. INSIDIOUS proved you don't need a bloated budget to make an effective movie, in or out of genre. Good acting, good writing, good photography, good editing...that's all you really need. I think I can safely speak for the majority when I say...we can't wait to see what Leigh and James have for us in part two. Bring it on boys...don't hold a damn thing back!

INSIDIOUS star Rose Byrne

Extra Tidbit: You in favor of an INSIDIOUS sequel? Which characters do you want to return?
Source: Deadline

2:41PM on 02/03/2012
And as for the story... I really hope they take on a whole new fresh take with it with new characters. Then maybe it'd be cool if towards the end they tied it up with the original somehow.

2:40PM on 02/03/2012

Meh...

Insidious was a fantastic, creepy, and old school horror film that hit the spot. Admittedly towards the end I felt a little bit disconnected to it, but I blame the budget. And knowing the extremely low budget I was able to get past that. But a sequel? I mean the ending had a cliffhanger ending yes, but it was a proper ending. Not one that completely says "Oh well I guess there's gonna be another one."

Although I do have complete faith in James and Leigh. Even though Insidious WAS a success, I don't think they're in it for the money and if they say there's still a story to tell, then I believe them. They haven't let me down yet. Well at least now with a little bit of a bigger budget some of the "bigger scenes" will feel a little bit less cheap.

2:30AM on 02/03/2012

GOOD IDEA!!!!!

but make the dark space between the houses into an actual "SET" instead of just darkness... Insidious rocked.

2:31AM on 02/03/2012
Bring Back the father, the movie was more about him than the son that spent 99.99% of the movie in a damn coma!! (thats acting by the way)
12:31AM on 02/03/2012

blah

Insidious sucked, still don't see what anyone sees in it. It was laughable really, there was talent on board yeah but it was never scary and just felt insanely cheap and scare free. Those mysterious figures walking right outside the room were hilariously bad.

but, can't blame them for making a sequel. Smart business move.

but, can't blame them for making a sequel. Smart business move.

12:13AM on 02/03/2012
As much as I loved Insidious, I'm sick of sequels popping up after every successful film. I wish Wan and Whanell would move on to something else rather than mess up the legacy of a great horror flick.

9:07PM on 02/02/2012
just come up with a better ending.
just come up with a better ending.

Fenn, Sherilyn