I want to believe again! Give me an X-Files 3 and here's what I want!

09.19.2011by: The Arrow

I'll always remember how I got into THE X-FILES. JoBlo (aka my bud Big B.) and I had gone to see Robert Zemekis CONTACT (1997) and we were so bummed that after all the build up the flick put out, it ended with freaking David Morse (great man) instead of actual aliens, that we stopped at a video store on the way back to Jo's pad and rented the pilot episode of THE X-FILES. Yeah that show everybody was talking about (X-Files was at season 4 by the time we got into it). We wanted to see some damn aliens dammit! And we did! After that, we were both hooked on the show and it became a ritual. Every weekend, I'd go to Jo's garage bedroom or he'd come to my one room hole, we'd make nachos and catch up on our X-Files. As I am writing this I can't help but smile, freaking simpler times man, I miss them. The show eventually got us into the point and click X-FILES PC video game which we played and after lots of trial and being bitch slapped by Scully, finally finished (to be honest we got stuck, so nabbed cheats online, twas a rough game).

The X-Files PC game... stop bustng balls Scully! ;)

Personally, as I always do when I fall in love with something (Twin Peaks, Conan, Star Trek) I went haywire with The X-Files, reading every book I could get my hands on and absorbing as much information about the show, its cast, its crew as I could. Finally in 1998, we got our first THE X-FILES movie, FIGHT THE FUTURE. I went to see it, proudly wearing my X-Files t-shirt on and yeah, the film was pretty good, but on the show Chris Carter had kind of painted himself in a corner with too many questions up in the air, and the answers this hardcore X-Phile was expecting weren't in the movie (also, the Bounty Hunter should have been in there). As time went on, THE X-FILES moved from shooting in Vancouver to moving its dog and pony show to LA (for Season 6), the quality lessened (the first 3 seasons were the best IMO), David Duchovny bowed out for the most part (during Seasons 7) and John Doggett (Robert Patrick), and Monica Reyes (Annabeth Gish) came in to fill that void, until the show ended in 2002.

Fight the Future was pretty good; I want The X-Files 3 to be pretty GREAT!

It was over... or so I thought. In 2008, THE X-FILES attempted a come back with a second feature flick called THE X-FILES I WANT TO BELIEVE. Although they did some things right, the story they told was underwhelming, deja vu and pedestrian and unworthy of The X-Files, specially on the big screen. Now that there's some THE X-FILES 3 buzz going about the web now of late, I decided to write this up and offer what I WOULD LIKE TO SEE in an The X-Files 3. Here we go!

WHAT I WANT FROM THE X-FILES 3!

-Open the film with Mark Snow's iconic The X Files theme song. Please the long time fans and blow away the X-Files virgins. The theme reeks of eeriness and still stands tall and strong today.

-With all of its faults, THE X-FILES I WANT TO BELIEVE did one thing right. It didn't attempt to further the TV show and its extensive mythology which lets face it was filled with holes, loose ends and got lost in the wind as creator Chris Carter seemed to be making it up as he went along. The movie pulled a stand alone. And that's what I want for an X-Files 3 and beyond. For the characters of Mulder and Scully to be constants, tackling stand alone stories film after film. Its too late to go back to he show now, its been too long.

So for this planned Part 3, I'd have our dynamic duo get tossed into a scenario that deals with ALIENS in one way or another. And for Part 4 and beyond, have them pitted against ghosts, werewolves, mutants...whatever, the possibilities are endless. But I'd stick to the paranormal. That's where I WANT TO BELIEVE went dead wrong, human limb trafficking is just too blah for an X-Files movie. Run with what you got! Don't short change yourself.

-Get a director who's a pro with the subgenre! My top pick would be the criminally underrated David Twohy. The man knows Sci-Fi, is good on a budget and has already tackled an X-Files-ish flick called THE ARRIVAL. Skip on getting a “work man” like director and up the ante behind the camera. Get a director with more talent than the norm and that has a clear vision as to what he wants to do, more of an auteur than an assembly line worker. Duncan Jones would be my second choice.

David Twohy should do X-Files 3!

-I'd keep the romantic dynamic between Mulder and Scully; but would kind of ignore everything that went on before (I guess I'd do a semi reboot) to have Mulder be the believer and Scully be AGAIN the hardcore skeptic. At the end of the day their polar opposite state of minds and that chemistry they shared is two of the things that made X-Files so special; you can't have two believers yo!

-The X-Files always managed to pull of quite the juggling act; hard hitting drama, a potent mystery mixed with a winning sense of humor. So I'd definitely lean on all of those for The X-Files 3.

-Put the money onscreen! The first X-Files movie had stand out special effects. The second one, I have no idea where that 30 Million went. So for round 3; I wanna see the coin well spent. Floor me with money creature effects (KNB would be ideal to handle these), explosions, spaceships...the works!

Put the money where it should go... onscreen!

-Go heavy on the action to complement the plot! As much as I like drama, humor and mystery in my X-Files. We're talking about a feature flick here not a TV episode. So on this try, put our heroes in mammoth danger and let the extensive, death defying stunts and action sequences fly! I wanna spill my Popcorn on the floor dammit, not gaze at my crotch wondering when will be the next time it gets fed!

-Fanboy requests! Its not The X-Files without my man Skinner (Mitch Pillegi) in the house, so I would like to see him come back. And if I get greedy, have secondary roles for Monica Reyes (Annabeth Gish) and John Doggett (Robert Patrick), in there too. Although their stay on the show was short lived, I loved them and think they would make for a fine addition to a third X-Files movie.

-Keep the convenient coincidences out of the plot. X-files 2 was filled with them! We need a top notch screenwriter on this one! Hey, get David Twohy for that job too! He's aces in the depertment as well!

And that's it! Not so much to ask is it?!

THE X-FILES is stall a viable concept in my my bible and its leads, although older, still look great. With the right people behind the script and the camera and with the money they have splashed on the screen (maybe Duchovny and Anderson can take a back-end deal, like Vin Diesel did for Riddick 3) , THE X-FILES 3 can be a badass movie that would lead to a solid franchise with legs. Learn from your mistakes X-Files peeps and give us a third movie worthy of the GENIUS you gave us on the small screen for at least 3 to 4 seasons. I STILL BELIEVE! And you have one more shot to sell me and the world! DO IT!

Extra Tidbit: Now what do YOU want out of X-Files 3? Talk to me!

6:02AM on 09/20/2011

No...and YES

Dear Diary, my heart leaped today when The Arrow suggested X-Files 3...but...it's that simple, X-Files 3 HAS to do with the upcoming 2012 invasion if FOX wants a 4, 5, and so on that it wont go str8 to DVD. Let's not forget that we are running out of time 'cause DD and GA are not getting any younger and we are this close from having FOX rebooting the show with some blonde bimbo in short skirts. X-Files 3 NEEDS to happen now. This is what they should include: Bring back the damn baby, it's never to late to explore the potentials of the next link to the evolutionary change. Bring back the damn Aliens and have them blow up everything and everyone BUT in a hush, hush background way like it's been for the first years of the show. Bring back Strughold and his bees and his alien bounty hunters. Bring back Scully's (not skepticism but) science and ways to deal with things in a scientific way. Bring back Mulder's sun flower seeds lol. DO NOT bring back Doggett and Reyes. And please, please, hire someone who knows about advertising and publicity to promote the movie. Thanks

4:33PM on 09/20/2011
Didn't you hear? Fox already made a reboot of the X Files. It's called Fringe.
Didn't you hear? Fox already made a reboot of the X Files. It's called Fringe.
10:22PM on 09/19/2011

Awesome!

I am totally with you, any piece of X-Files 3 info I hear gets me super excited, I am a HUGE fan of the series, even the less exciting seasons. I liked X-Files 2 but agree that it should have been better, they needed a bigger, more paranormal style plot. But they can pick it back up and win over so many people with a good story, finishing up the alien timeline, put it out before the end of 2012 and it'd be perfect!! I hope it happens, I don't want X-Files 2 to be the last time we see them together!

5:26PM on 09/19/2011

Wha-

You kind of just contradicted yourself by saying it needs to be larger than life, but a standalone as well. I don't know if you remember, but the entire show was predicated on ALIENS and their inevitable invasion (which so happens to fall on 2012). If this show wants a appease old fans and blow away new ones, they have no choice but to wrap up the mythology and go out with a bang.

Also, that shooter game was a pain in the ass alright. I rented it back in the day and ended getting stuck at the last fricken' level.

6:57AM on 09/20/2011
I disagree as I said to forget the show, cause its been too long. Like I said in my piece, take Mulder and Scully, toss them in a NEW scenario with aliens or/and anything that has to do with the paranormal. This old fan would just be happy to see them on the big screen again in a film that is WORTHY of them. But wrapping up the show in a new film is a bad idea IMO, again, its been too long... and yes that game was a major PAIN...but good pain :)
4:26PM on 09/20/2011
I agree, it's been way too long and the mythology is way too convoluted to just pick right up where they left off. Which is why I think they'd have to come with a compromise like Joss Whedon did with Serenity. A streamlined movie which acted as both a continuation of the story and an introduction for newbs by clever use of narrative devices and exposition. And lets face it, if they get another shot, this is probably the last chance they're ever gonna get. As much as I'd love to see a new series of X-files movies, the modern public is just too capricious and the markets too saturated with other properties vying for attention.
3:52PM on 09/19/2011

BRAVO

Couldn't agree more!!! Someone get this man a Pulitzer Prize.
Couldn't agree more!!! Someone get this man a Pulitzer Prize.

1:03PM on 09/19/2011
Plot-wise, I know it's been some time since the show was on, but dammit, they need to wrap up the alien invasion storyline! They showed a glimpse of it near the end of the show, and even gave us a freakin' date!

Besides, I'm sure FOX would be a lot more willing to throw money at a blockbustery "oh shit it's an invasion someone call Will Smith" than a smaller, more self-contained story. But really, I'd just be happy seeing Mulder and Scully back on the big screen.

Oh, and good call on

Oh, and good call on Twohy. He'd be perfect for directing duties.

11:04AM on 09/19/2011
Arrow, you took every word out of my mouth. Sadly I was watching the X-Files when I was uber young, so I don't really remember it too well =/ But I remember loving the show and being won over by it. I'd kill for a third film!

10:14AM on 09/19/2011
Nuff said!
Nuff said!

9:53AM on 09/19/2011
I think "found footage" might work here. I know, I know but hear me out first: what I'm thinking is something like The X-Files meet Troll Hunter. If done right, this could boost X-Files series. There could be a mysterious tape/DVD sent to Mulder with the sole intention to just Him and Mulder started looking into this. Then he managed to convince Scully into this journey and suddenly things are much deeper than it seems. This could work.

9:31AM on 09/19/2011
Definitely can't argue with anything here. What we get if there actually is an X-Files 3 remains to be seen but, these are solid directions for this flick to go.

5:18AM on 09/19/2011
Perfect idea John, definitely the direction it should go if they wish to do another film.

Fenn, Sherilyn