Next season of Dexter may not be the last after all

Dec. 18, 2012by: Eric Walkuski

Fans of Showtime's serial killer soap opera "Dexter" get ready to rejoice... tentatively. Since the summer, we've been under the impression that the series' eighth season, which airs in late 2013, will be its last. We even heard executive producer Sara Colleton confirming that Season 8 shall "definitely" be the last hurrah for the affable Florida-based murderer.

Not so fast, says showrunner Scott Buck.

In an interview with NY Mag's Vulture blog, Buck gives "Dexter" followers a glimmer of hope when responding to a question regarding the supposed final season.

"It might be the last. That hasnt been announced yet. Weve been picked up for one more season, but whether that is the last one or not has not yet been determined."

Buck was then asked if he "thinks" it should be the last. "Well, honestly, because we were picked up for two seasons, and the understanding was it may be the last, were certainly moving in that direction. But until Showtime tells us one way or another were not making any more definitive decisions," was how the producer replied.

Naturally, the network would have to pony up another huge payday for star Michael C. Hall in order to move forward (the negotiations the last time around did not go easily), but at least it appears there's a door open for more Miami mayhem.

To read Buck's thoughts about how this last season wrapped up, head on over to Vulture.

"Dexter" hottie Yvonne Strahovski

Extra Tidbit: Are you down for more "Dexter" after next season, or do you think it's time they wrap it up?
Source: Vulture

7:15PM on 12/18/2012

rolls eyes at Showtime

This show has been spinning it's wheels for so long. Dexter never grows for real, and he's never in any genuine affecting danger. The fact that they are willing to do this this after talking up an end game tells me 3 things that make me like this show even less now. 1) The show runners are more interested in another paycheck from this cash cow than in trying to ressurect any dignity this series once had. 2) Showtime and the writers lack confidence (Showtime that it can find another popular replacement, and the writers that they'll find another gig). And 3) The writers may even have been baiting an endgame to drum up interest in this just-endded season, because it that was getting chided for... spinning it's wheels.

1:16PM on 12/19/2012
Amen! Dex could do a kill on the 50 during a Dolphins game & not get caught. And then break into the Pentagon & find what he needs in 5 minutes. All on his lunch brake.
7:02PM on 12/18/2012
ditto
ditto

7:00PM on 12/18/2012
Can't be too harsh as I still watch & will to the end, but this show is a sad joke compared to the early seasons. Writers have redeamed themselves a TAD this season but its too little too late for me.

6:39PM on 12/18/2012
I would love to see him go full on evil serial killer, hunted and almost trapped... next season getting there and the last one going on a total manhunt for the guy..

But 2 seasons more.. tops

But 2 seasons more.. tops

2:58PM on 12/18/2012
I agree completely with BTZombie88 - I LOVE the show but it feels like the right time to end it. They've obviously had a spike in rating this year so I hope that's not their only reason and they honestly feel they have some great stories to still tell. When shows have a confirmed end game to work towards the quality usually takes a spike. The storytelling gets tighter and more focused. I've always loved the show, even those seasons that get flack like 5 and 6, which I never understood. Even at it's worst it was still miles better than most shows out there. Who'dve thunk a show like this would go as long as it has? Don't get me wrong if they go past next year I'll still watch it, and I'll be sad when it's over but I do hope they stick to their plan and wrap things up next year. Can't wait either way. This year was superb.

11:59AM on 12/18/2012
As much as I love this show, it's time to end it. This last season has been a lot better than the previous two (which I still enjoyed) but it's definitely approaching an end and I have a feeling this final season will be great. I don't want to see them dragging out the story longer than they should just for the ratings. I felt like seasons 5 and 6 were mostly filler and the show got back on track this year, season 8 should definitely be the end.

Argyris, Michelle