Yesterday, anthology fans received a very early Christmas (or maybe Halloween) present when it was announced that Magnet Releasing was firing up THE ABCs OF DEATH 2. We heard three directors names at the time of the initial announcement: animator Bill Plympton, ROOM 237 director Rodney Ascher and THE LAST CIRCUS helmer Alex de la Iglesia. And now a slew of additional names have come tumbling in!
Among the other ABCs directors:
- Filipino icon – and Director’s Fortnight inductee – Erik Matti (ON THE JOB, MAGIC TEMPLE)
- The Founder of Nigerian “Nollywood” cinema Lancelot Imasuen
- Lithuania’s Kristina Buozyte and Bruno Samper (VANISHING WAVES)
- Japan’s arthouse provocateur Sion Sono (COLD FISH, SUICIDE CLUB)
- SPLICE and CUBE’s Vincenzo Natali
- Indie horror icon Larry Fessenden (THE LAST WINTER, HABIT)
- THE COLLECTION’s Marcus Dunstan
- France’s Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo (INSIDE, LIVID)
- E.L. Katz (director of the SXSW breakout hit CHEAP THRILLS)
- Twin auteurs Jen and Sylvia Soska (AMERICAN MARY, DEAD HOOKER IN A TRUNK)
- Israel’s Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado (RABIES, BIG BAD WOLVES)
- A LONELY PLACE TO DIE’s Julian Gilbey
- Brazil’s most controversial filmmaker Dennison Ramalho (NINJAS and LOVE FOR MOTHER ONLY)
- THE LEGEND OF BEAVER DAM and the upcoming STAGEFRIGHT’s Jerome Sable
- Animator Robert Morgan – creator of the BAFTA Award nominated short BOBBY YEAH.
And that's not all, more names are expected to be revealed this summer. We will also see the return of the series’ popular 26th Director competition (which allows one exceptional fan-made entry to become part of the finished film).
Magnet is planning a 2014 release of the film. ABCs OF DEATH 2 is produced by Ant Timpson and Tim League, in conjunction with associate producers Todd Brown, Marc Walkow, Mitch Davis, and Ted Geoghegan.