Latest Entertainment News Headlines

J.K. Simmons says Kong: Skull Island will take place in 1971 Detroit

01.15.2015

skull island jk simmons

Last week we heard that Michael Keaton was in talks to join Legendary Pictures’ upcoming King Kong reboot, KONG: SKULL ISLAND. He joins the already cast Tom Hiddleston and the newly Oscar nominated J.K. Simmons in the film directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts. We might be getting closer to finding out just what this movie has in store for us thanks to a chatty Simmons. He recently talked about the time period for the film, which all we knew about prior was that it took place "in the mysterious and dangerous home of the king of the apes".

MTV caught up with Simmons and the actor revealed that while he was skeptical at first about the new King Kong movie, Roberts was able to win him over:

When it first came to my attention, ‘There’s interest in you for a new King Kong,’ I thought, ‘Okay, why? I met with Jordon Vogt-Roberts who’s going to be directing it, and John Gatins who’s gonna be writing, and Tom [Hiddleston]—Jordan was just so passionate and so smart and there’s such an interesting new take on it, and it’s set in Detroit in 1971 which is where I grew up, and we’re gonna shoot in Detroit during baseball season and I’ll be able to go to Tigers games, so there’s a lot to like about this movie.

It sounds like he was more swayed by the notion that he would get to go to baseball games during the making of this movie, I love that. That new timeline certainly sounds interesting though, 1971 Detroit could be a lot of fun for the hometown actor too. It should be able to keep intact the lore of Kong that we all recognize while bringing new (and necessary if you ask me) changes like this timeline. It won’t get confused with Peter Jackson’s 1930-set Kong remake that’s for sure.

KONG: SKULL ISLAND opens in IMAX 3D on March 10, 2017.

Here is the video of Simmons’ reveal:

 

CLICK IMAGE TO OPEN GALLERY & SEE MORE PICS...

Source: MTV

RECOMMENDED MOVIE NEWS

MORE FUN FROM AROUND THE WEB

Strikeback
Not registered? Sign-up!
Or

5:58PM on 01/25/2015
Detroit Rock City baby!! Love it
Detroit Rock City baby!! Love it
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
4:19PM on 01/16/2015
The movie's set in 1971 so that Kong can't call for help on a mobile phone when he gets kidnapped by the human expedition.
The movie's set in 1971 so that Kong can't call for help on a mobile phone when he gets kidnapped by the human expedition.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
+1
11:21AM on 01/16/2015

What???

So a bunch of jive turkeys are going to take the monkey to Detroit. Say slick, this gonna be one crazy flick.
So a bunch of jive turkeys are going to take the monkey to Detroit. Say slick, this gonna be one crazy flick.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
9:07AM on 01/16/2015
Enough with the damn tax breaks swaying where you'll shoot Hollywood. What the hell is Kong going to climb in 70s Detroit?
Enough with the damn tax breaks swaying where you'll shoot Hollywood. What the hell is Kong going to climb in 70s Detroit?
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
4:53AM on 01/16/2015
I was hoping the entire film would take place on the island...
I was hoping the entire film would take place on the island...
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
+0
11:01PM on 01/15/2015
but we've already seen King Kong in the 70's...
but we've already seen King Kong in the 70's...
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
10:11PM on 01/15/2015
Push it back another decade and have Robocop confront King Kong. Now there's a cool movie. Your welcome Hollywood.
Push it back another decade and have Robocop confront King Kong. Now there's a cool movie. Your welcome Hollywood.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
9:45PM on 01/15/2015
Vogt-Roberts said on the Jumpkickpunch podcast that only about 60% of the movie would actually take place on Skull Island. It's looking like the other 40% will take place in Detroit.
Vogt-Roberts said on the Jumpkickpunch podcast that only about 60% of the movie would actually take place on Skull Island. It's looking like the other 40% will take place in Detroit.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
9:14PM on 01/15/2015

Well...

There ARE a lot of apes in Detroit.
There ARE a lot of apes in Detroit.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
9:08PM on 01/15/2015
More good news for Detroit.
More good news for Detroit.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
8:50PM on 01/15/2015
Sounds like they're going to blow the cgi budget on Detroit itself. Are the cgi union workers considered scabs?
Sounds like they're going to blow the cgi budget on Detroit itself. Are the cgi union workers considered scabs?
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
+0
8:46PM on 01/15/2015
Why in 1971? Completely pointless.
Why in 1971? Completely pointless.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
11:41PM on 01/15/2015
Oh so you read the script then??
Oh so you read the script then??
8:39PM on 01/15/2015
Shouldn't this take place, like, on Skull Island?
Shouldn't this take place, like, on Skull Island?
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
9:10PM on 01/15/2015
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! Beat me to it!
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! Beat me to it!
11:04PM on 01/15/2015
but would you be interested in a movie called "Kong: Detroit"?

... actually, that's not too bad.
but would you be interested in a movie called "Kong: Detroit"?

... actually, that's not too bad.
8:38PM on 01/15/2015
"set in Detroit in 1971 which is where I grew up, and we’re gonna shoot in Detroit during baseball season and I’ll be able to go to Tigers games, so there’s a lot to like about this movie" - Haha, I like it when actors give their honest opinions about their projects.
"set in Detroit in 1971 which is where I grew up, and we’re gonna shoot in Detroit during baseball season and I’ll be able to go to Tigers games, so there’s a lot to like about this movie" - Haha, I like it when actors give their honest opinions about their projects.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
+1
8:36PM on 01/15/2015
Interesting. I imagine since it's being filmed in modern-day Detroit they'll save money by not having to hire actors to play savages...they'll just use the local populous as a back drop.
Yes I just said that.
I have family in Detroit. And yes, it's as bad as you think it is. A complete shit hole.
Interesting. I imagine since it's being filmed in modern-day Detroit they'll save money by not having to hire actors to play savages...they'll just use the local populous as a back drop.
Yes I just said that.
I have family in Detroit. And yes, it's as bad as you think it is. A complete shit hole.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
9:16PM on 01/15/2015
Sorry, made my not as funny comment above before I saw your perfect one. I'll show myself out.
Sorry, made my not as funny comment above before I saw your perfect one. I'll show myself out.
2:11AM on 01/16/2015
I love your honesty Kulak. And your comment was spot on, do stay.
I love your honesty Kulak. And your comment was spot on, do stay.
6:06PM on 01/25/2015
I'll do you one better jackass, I live in Detroit. And yes, it definitely is rough here but watch your damn mouth when talking about a hard working, gritty blue collar city. Its full of great people trying to turn it around. We are weeding out all the filthy politicians and corrupt city counsel members. It might not be a beautiful looking city but it forces those that come out of it to be tough and strong minded. Don't disrespect my city from an outsiders perspective
I'll do you one better jackass, I live in Detroit. And yes, it definitely is rough here but watch your damn mouth when talking about a hard working, gritty blue collar city. Its full of great people trying to turn it around. We are weeding out all the filthy politicians and corrupt city counsel members. It might not be a beautiful looking city but it forces those that come out of it to be tough and strong minded. Don't disrespect my city from an outsiders perspective
View All Comments

Latest Entertainment News Headlines


Top
Loading...

Featured Youtube Videos

Views and Counting

Movie Hottie Of The Week

More