Latest Movie News Headlines

Ryan Reynolds and Rosario Dawson take no prisoners in The Captive trailer

Jul. 10, 2014by: Alex Maidy

Stop me if you heard this one: a working class father loses his little girl. Fearing she has been kidnapped, he begins a journey to find those responsible and bring them to justice. So, what movie does that remind you of? If you said PRISONERS, you are right on. But, where the Hugh Jackman thriller was steeped in darkness and brooding, THE CAPTIVE is bright white and haunting. So, what is the difference?

Director Atom Egoyan (THE SWEET HEREAFTER) is known for his startling character pieces, but THE CAPTIVE looks like it is not sure what kind of movie it wants to be. The trailer starts out like a PRISONERS knock-off before turning into an action thriller that looks like a TAKEN knock-off. Combine those two films and I am not sure the result is a good one.

Eight years after the disappearance of Cassandra, some disturbing indications seem to indicate that she's still alive. Police, parents and Cassandra herself, will try to unravel the mystery of her disappearance.

Ryan Reynolds is a likeable enough actor, but in THE CAPTIVE he just looks like he is trying too hard. The entire film looks like a low rent project despite the presence of Reynolds, THE KILLING star Mireille Enos, and the lovely Rosario Dawson. It could be that if this film had been released prior to PRISONERS we would be calling that film a copy, but for now THE CAPTIVE doesn't look like it offers much new to see.

THE CAPTIVE is slated to hit theaters on September 5th.

Source: YouTube

MORE FUN FROM AROUND THE WEB

Strikeback
Not registered? Sign-up!
Or

4:19AM on 07/13/2014

I'm in

Loved The Sweet Hereafter...this looks like Egoyan is going for a dark Coen brothers/David Lynch vibe here
Loved The Sweet Hereafter...this looks like Egoyan is going for a dark Coen brothers/David Lynch vibe here
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
9:25AM on 07/11/2014
I don't think the movie looks bad. Maybe a little reminiscent of Prisoners in the first half. But I will say the trailer is kind of undone with that music that hokey music that begins when Kevin Durand shows up. Still, it has the potential to be a decent Hitchcockian thriller, and I don't think Taken comparisons are justified based on what we see.
I don't think the movie looks bad. Maybe a little reminiscent of Prisoners in the first half. But I will say the trailer is kind of undone with that music that hokey music that begins when Kevin Durand shows up. Still, it has the potential to be a decent Hitchcockian thriller, and I don't think Taken comparisons are justified based on what we see.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
3:07AM on 07/11/2014

Meh

I give it a 10% chance it'll be surprisingly good, a 60% chance it'll be completely forgettable, and a 30% chance it'll be total shit.
I give it a 10% chance it'll be surprisingly good, a 60% chance it'll be completely forgettable, and a 30% chance it'll be total shit.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
2:53AM on 07/11/2014

Looks decent to me

I like Egoyan's films (The Sweet Hereafter being my favorite). It looks a bit more "commercial" than his past films but I will definitely check it out.
I like Egoyan's films (The Sweet Hereafter being my favorite). It looks a bit more "commercial" than his past films but I will definitely check it out.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
9:37PM on 07/10/2014
I think that Alex Maidy has a pretty harsh opinion of a movie that looks pretty interesting. If he didn't mention Prisoners, I would never have thought to compare the two, and still don't see the comparison.
I think that Alex Maidy has a pretty harsh opinion of a movie that looks pretty interesting. If he didn't mention Prisoners, I would never have thought to compare the two, and still don't see the comparison.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
8:37PM on 07/10/2014
I didn't read the review, but honestly I did think of PRISONERS right away. It has the same atmosphere and "tone" I guess. However, this looks way more interesting and obscure. PRISONERS kind of went slow and steady for a real feel. This looks like some kind of Hitchcock film. Maybe it is just the music. Either way, this looks great.
I didn't read the review, but honestly I did think of PRISONERS right away. It has the same atmosphere and "tone" I guess. However, this looks way more interesting and obscure. PRISONERS kind of went slow and steady for a real feel. This looks like some kind of Hitchcock film. Maybe it is just the music. Either way, this looks great.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
+0
8:10PM on 07/10/2014
That's a pretty intense review for a 2 minute trailer. Trailer was different tho
That's a pretty intense review for a 2 minute trailer. Trailer was different tho
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
8:01PM on 07/10/2014
this actually looks interesting
this actually looks interesting
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
7:35PM on 07/10/2014
Looks awesome. Looks like a more intense version of Prisoners (if that is even possible). But the story and cast sound like a perfect match for a great drama.
Looks awesome. Looks like a more intense version of Prisoners (if that is even possible). But the story and cast sound like a perfect match for a great drama.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
+0
7:27PM on 07/10/2014
I think it looks pretty good. And honestly, its Ryan Reynolds I'll watch anything he's in. I just really enjoy him since his "Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place" days.
I think it looks pretty good. And honestly, its Ryan Reynolds I'll watch anything he's in. I just really enjoy him since his "Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place" days.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
7:05PM on 07/10/2014
Looks intriguing to me.
Looks intriguing to me.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
6:55PM on 07/10/2014

What is this writer smoking? This looks decent if anything.

This looks absolutely nothing like Prisoners. The only thing I found in common was someone's child was kidnapped, thats how many movies in hollyood? Usually immediately I turn my nose up at anything Ryan Reynolds does but this looks promising. If anything a few good hours of solid entertainment. I like what I saw. I don't know what this writer is smoking.....
This looks absolutely nothing like Prisoners. The only thing I found in common was someone's child was kidnapped, thats how many movies in hollyood? Usually immediately I turn my nose up at anything Ryan Reynolds does but this looks promising. If anything a few good hours of solid entertainment. I like what I saw. I don't know what this writer is smoking.....
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
+0
6:36PM on 07/10/2014

Dont know,...

I don't know if its the way the trailer is cut, or the music, but this looks like a made for TV special,... Great cast btw,...
I don't know if its the way the trailer is cut, or the music, but this looks like a made for TV special,... Great cast btw,...
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
6:22PM on 07/10/2014
Egoyan's work has never sat right with me, but I was still surprised at how this just got slaughtered by the critics when it played in Cannes. Its ratings on IMDb and RT confirm the likeliness of this ending up in the Awfully Good column someday.
Egoyan's work has never sat right with me, but I was still surprised at how this just got slaughtered by the critics when it played in Cannes. Its ratings on IMDb and RT confirm the likeliness of this ending up in the Awfully Good column someday.
Your Reply:



Please email me when someone replies to my comment
View All Comments

Latest Movie News Headlines


Top
Loading...
JoBlo's T-Shirt Shoppe | support our site... Wear Our Gear!