It's the Booze Talkin': We live in an era of great horror television!

Apr. 9, 2013by: Ammon Gilbert

The third season of THE WALKING DEAD just wrapped a week ago, and in normal years, that would mean that we would be entering a time of drought when it comes to horror on TV. But this is not a normal year, and the popularity of the drama set in a zombie apocalypse is finally catching up with the rest of television, giving us even more quality horror on TV than ever before! What can I say, other than we’re living in an era of great horror television, and I’m loving every second of it!

About a month ago saw the beginning of BATES MOTEL, a series that is sort of a prequel to Alfred Hitchcock’s PSYCHO. I say sort of because while the characters of Norman Bates and his mother (played brilliantly by Vera Farmiga) are before the events of PSYCHO, the time period is set in present day. While this revelation took me a bit by surprise and honestly took me a little while to get used to, I gotta say that I’m actually pretty happy with that decision, as it works for the show, and makes it more than just a period drama or some other silly shit. It’s atmospheric, seeing the Bates Motel and the infamous house towering over it in the background is a sight to see in each and every episode, and it’s a weekly escape that I look forward to week after week. And yeah, it’s creepy as hell.

But it doesn’t stop there! This past week, NBC decided to grow some balls and run a show that is graphically daring and up there in quality with the likes of cable networks (F/X, AMC, A&E) with HANNIBAL, which is a brand-new series dealing with the pre-RED DRAGON, pre-SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, pre-HANNIBAL (but post-HANNIBAL RISING) Hannibal Lector, as he helps yet another detective solve serial killer murders. Sure, it’s one episode in right now, so who knows if this is as good as it looks, but goddamn if this show doesn’t look like all kinds of awesome. As a fan of Hannibal Lector, its fun to see him week after week, being diabolical and creepy, not to mention the horrific horror of the grisly serial murders that are happening outside his control. The show just started, but hell… I’m in!

We’re about mid-season into THE FOLLOWING, and I don’t know if it’s the Kevin Bacon factor, the James Purefoy factor, or the Kevin Williamson factor, but I’m totally loving this shit! Seriously, this is a show that knows how to draw its audience in and keep them wanting more week after week. Every episode ends with a sort of cliffhanger that almost makes me want to wait for the show to hit DVD so I can plow through all the episodes in one sitting. What makes it interesting and scary is the cult element to the show, and that there are so many followers of this crazy f*cker, that anybody could be one of them, and it really puts the whole show on edge because, as the great Williamson said before…. everybody’s a suspect!!!

I can hear the naysayers now, complaining that the first aforementioned new shows (BATES MOTEL and HANNIBAL) offer nothing new and are more or less like remakes to their movie counterparts. And to that, I say… those people haven’t actually watched either of these shows. They’re way more than just remakes of PSYCHO and HANNIBAL, as they offer new stories, more in-depth character development, and have their own unique stamp on the lore of the original movies, that they’re actually a lot more original and less clichéd that a lot crap that’s on TV right now. These aren’t your run-of-the-mill weekly cop shows where they solve a crime week after week, but they offer something far more than that… and they’re shows that dabble in horror, featuring some really horrific shit (especially for television).

Maybe it’s the booze talkin’, but I’m absolutely loving this fine era of horror television. There’s some really great genre shows on right now, from BATES MOTEL to HANNIBAL to THE FOLLOWING, and I didn’t even mention shit like GRIMM, SUPERNATURAL, and even GAME OF THRONES to some degree (which isn’t necessarily horror, but gets mighty bloody when it wants to be). So much good stuff, there’s hardly enough time to keep up with it all… and that’s not a bad problem to have! And just think, when all these shows wrap in a month or two, we’ll still have the fourth season of THE WALKING DEAD to look forward to this coming Halloween, and all the epic horror TV starts over again. Goddamn, I love keeping my DVR busy!

Extra Tidbit: What's your favorite show on TV right now? Did I miss anything?

Related Articles

11:00PM on 04/09/2013

Horror

is finally back. Hannibal and AHS are my favs
is finally back. Hannibal and AHS are my favs

5:29PM on 04/09/2013
Bates Motel and Hannibal are spectacular.
I really hate The Following though.

All three are going for the glitz and glamor of gory thrills and dark mysteries but only the former 2 achieve that in my book
Bates Motel and Hannibal are spectacular.
I really hate The Following though.

4:40PM on 04/09/2013
The Following is awesome.

Hannibal's lead is Agent Will Graham...the very character that made Red Dragon a better story than Silence of the Lambs. Hannibal toys with Clarice. With Will, he has a dangerous, intellectual equal.

The Following is awesome.

Bates Motel is upsetting so far, but I'll stick around. Really I'm hoping both Hannibal and Bates lead into remakes of Red Dragon and Psycho as their series finales whenever they get cancelled. But hopefully Bates won't go the Hitchcock remake route that the crappy Vince Vaughn version did. Maybe he'll decapitate Marion like in the novel.

10:41AM on 04/10/2013
I don't know about remaking Silence or Psycho, but hopefully these shows keep the interest of these titles alive, and... I don't know, sequels or reboots come to light? Might be kind of cool. Because, like you say, these shows won't last forever.

Speaking of which, I can't see how THE FOLLOWING goes more than 1 season... we shall see.

2:54PM on 04/09/2013
Im a fan of the zombie genre but Id never really connect with TWD. Saw the first season, part of the 2nd... zombies are just an excuse, not much action, boring episodes and stupid characters. American horror season 1 was pretty cool, I didn't see 2nd yet. I saw the first episode of HANNIBAL and works for me. Looking foward to see more.
Now... BATES MOTEL. a brother? a field of weed? the book with sketches?? and my dear god... why the hell is this in the present day? Norman Bates using whatsApp.... COME ON!!!! Norman and Norma looks like they are in the 50s but they are in the present, its like the Scooby Doo movie. Then those twist that reminds me House at the end of the street (and that s not a good sign ). Too many plots, too many mysteries. Oh sure! a guy from LOST is behind this one! And now with a 2nd season confirmed its probably end up being Norman Bates' Smallville. Don't really see what the great deal with this show. The cast is good, thats the best part of it. But for now I think is a stupid show. Keep watchin it anyway.
And finally IN THE FLESH (from BBC3) REALLY GOOD and original zombie drama. And only 3 episodes. Worth a watch!

10:44AM on 04/10/2013
In the Flesh? 3 episodes? Zombies? I'm in.
In the Flesh? 3 episodes? Zombies? I'm in.
2:49PM on 04/09/2013

I tried watching Walking Dead, Bates Motel, Hannibal and Following...

The only ones worth any time were Hannibal and Following. I enjoyed the walking dead graphic novels, but the show is nothing special. It reminds me of lost where it makes a big deal out of nothing and tries to be big when it isn't. Bates Motel is more like snooze motel, nobody cares about modern young Norman and his teenage angst issues. Hannibal is ok so far, I can hang in there a little longer and hope to see something worth retconning one of the greatest villains of all time. The Following is great, but that is the Bacon factor, he is gold in everything and can make anything watchable. The only show that really has me hooked was American Horror Story. The second season was ok, it did too much, but the first season was genius and almost perfect.

10:42AM on 04/10/2013
I can't wait to see what kind of crazy shit they do in Season 3 of American Horror Story. Should be fun!

And yes, Bacon owns THE FOLLOWING. James Purefoy is also pretty awesome.

And yes, Bacon owns THE FOLLOWING. James Purefoy is also pretty awesome.
1:10PM on 04/09/2013
How could you fail to mention "American Horror Story"...apart from perhaps "The Walking Dead", this is largely the show responsible for the resurgence of horror on American television. Its psychosexuality, gratuitousness, predigree (Murphy, Falchuk, and LANGE), dramatic flair, and sheer what-the-fuckery made it must-see TV for those who didn't so often tune into horror-related subject matter.

1:54PM on 04/09/2013
OMG I can't believe I forgot AHS! I love AHS! I guess I was more focused on the shows on RIGHT NOW (or just wrapped) rather than shows coming in the fall. But you're right, AHS is absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to see what they're gonna do in Season 3.

God damn Booze!

God damn Booze!
3:03PM on 04/10/2013
AHS sucks balls. Season One Murder House was so ridiculous with the insane amount of murders happening. The best part was Alex Breckenridge, she was fappable. Season Two Asylum was equally bad, I would even say worse, but James Cromwell and Lily Rabe made it watchable. And I fapped on Rabe too. You can't go wrong with slutty nuns and maids.
4:49PM on 07/18/2013
What an eloquent argument, Herald. You're very likely to be taken seriously when you repeatedly use the phrase "fap" (especially in such a sexist fashion, bravo).
In any case, I found the first season of "AHS" very good, and even better on repeat viewings, but it's the second season for me that takes the cake. Seriously, where else on television can you find a cast this great, with material this gutsy? Yes, I know "Walking Dead" is a contender, but frankly, two words should make my point: Jessica Lange. She makes "AHS" top-tier material even when it shouldn't be.
Though, I suppose the character drama and arcs, the perversion and disturbances, the moral questions it posed, and its deep-rooted look at the Catholic church went above your head, as you clearly were looking for more "fap" material.
12:40PM on 04/09/2013
Extra tidbit: Murdoch Mysteries. Think of CSI that sets in late 1800s - early 1900s Toronto with a little bit of steampunk.

1:54PM on 04/09/2013
Damn, yo, sounds like I gotta check this shit out! Thanks!
Damn, yo, sounds like I gotta check this shit out! Thanks!
7:35PM on 04/09/2013
It might be a bit slow paced comparing to other shows with the same premise but that's the beauty of the show.
11:38AM on 04/09/2013

Extra Tidbit:

American Horror Story
American Horror Story

1:55PM on 04/09/2013
I'm a megafife for failing to mention AMERICAN HORROR STORY. I love that show! And I can't wait for it to return in the fall. Good call, yo!

Dusku, Eliza